stripped cane height.

karl66

stripped cane height.

Post by karl66 »

T.his is probably a question for jacko as he has some impressive boo's!, but as mine are growing to a fair height now i'm continually stripping them especially the big phyllostachy's. I started at approx. 3ft, then 4ft, I realise it's a personal choice but how high can you strip without them looking silly?. karl.
fieldfest

Re: stripped cane height.

Post by fieldfest »

mr Giles does his to about 6ft I have read somewhere before

Mine i strip about 1/3rd the height, so higher each year as they grow

EDIT:
http://www.exoticgarden.com/blog/the-ga ... oo-garden/
"A trick I learnt some years ago on a trip to Japan, is to remove all the lower branches to about 1.8m (6ft) thus revealing the beauty of the culms"
grub

Post by grub »

Mine are all stripped to between 6 and 7 foot icon_thumleft
Adam D

Post by Adam D »

Mine vary between nothing and about 4 feet.

I would go higher on the 4 feet ones if they grew higher.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

I do this to my bamboos take about a third of the foliage off.
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

I read best to go to 50% max of the height so as not to detriment vigour
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

can I ask what the purpose if? Ive never heard of anyone doing this over here so I don't know the benefits of it if any. Also what exactly are you doing to them? Just cutting off all the lower branchs at the node?
karl66

Post by karl66 »

mike, cutting off the node's is simply cosmetic & almost the done thing on large boo's otherwise they would look like a large untidy bush!, the desired height to trim back is a personal choice. karl.
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

miketropic wrote:what exactly are you doing to them? Just cutting off all the lower branchs at the node?
I think this stand of Bamboo at the entrance to Will Giles garden looks nice:

miketropic

Post by miketropic »

Once I get them in a better spot and get bigger culms I might try this. I see now and I never even considered doing that but then again I am hard on my boos as it is. Might go dig some wild ones and experiment. Is this usually only done on the taller types?

Sidenote: where can I find alot of pics of Wills Garden? hes done well with that bamboo and kept it in check nicely.
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

miketropic wrote: Sidenote: where can I find alot of pics of Wills Garden? hes done well with that bamboo and kept it in check nicely.
There's a few on my blog, but I didn't take the time to annotate them I'm afraid

http://kgarden.wordpress.com/english-ga ... ic-garden/

Will's blog is a good read:

http://www.exoticgarden.com/blog/
jacko

Post by jacko »

6ft to 7ft at the moment,most of mine are over 20ft now.it really shows the canes off well when you take the lower branches off.
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

hmm well I am hoping to move soon and I will be transplanting a large wild grove into the yard so I might give it a try. All my yellow grove canes have turned bright yellow which I have never seen before so they might be good to show off