Phyllostachys iridescens

Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Phyllostachys iridescens

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Picked up one of these today. I'll let you know how it performs over the coming years.

Anyone else growing it?
Attachments
1383236_422915814476897_804462801_n.jpg
charliepridham

Re: Phyllostachys iridescens

Post by charliepridham »

Yes I have a big one of these, wonderful young culms, and its huge, makes vivax aureocaulis seem dainty! I took out some outlying culms this year to keep the clump compact, and lain on the ground they were 36' or about 11M long
Yorkshire Kris

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

charliepridham wrote:Yes I have a big one of these, wonderful young culms, and its huge, makes vivax aureocaulis seem dainty! I took out some outlying culms this year to keep the clump compact, and lain on the ground they were 36' or about 11M long
That sounds very promising. Do you have any photos and any info on how quick they size up?
charliepridham

Post by charliepridham »

It grew away well from the off, and the stems almost doubled in height in its third season. although it spreads it doesn't seem to travel in a straight line like vivax, stays more clump shaped, I keep mine to around 4' diameter and I crown lift all my Bamboos each year as well as removing any of the smaller canes and any dead ones.

Sorry about the pictures, thought I had loads but I think they must have died with "Webshots" which I used to use for forum pictures, any way these shots were taken about 18 months apart

Clump in December 2012
phyllostachys iridescens by charliepridham, on Flickr

The young culms display the iridescence this taken June 2010

phyllostachys iridescens by charliepridham, on Flickr

Plant came from Mike Bell and was his suggestion to plant instead of edulis which is what my wife had wanted (Mike didn't think we were mild enough for that to get big like at the south coast gardens)
Yorkshire Kris

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Fabulous looking plant. Can't wait for mine to look like that. I've had a P edulis since 2010 and it's done nothing yet in terms of bulking up. So hoping iridecens out performs it.
jacko

Post by jacko »

wow wonderful specimen.interesting to see how yours does in yorkshire kris to charlie's in cornwall.