When to plant Bamboos from pot to ground

samtobuk

When to plant Bamboos from pot to ground

Post by samtobuk »

So ....... how early in the year is it sensible to transfer some of my pot-grown bamboos into the garden?

Keen to get them into some nice expansive compost to give them plenty of space to put up some new culms and make sure they've got plenty of food to work with .......... but not sure how early is sensible to transfer. I guess the ground isn't going to be any colder than the pots they are in, but will they be disturbed from being moved?

Any advice welcomed. Mostly looking at large (10ft) Phyllostachis, plus some small Fargesia rufa and Pseudosas japonica.
Neil Ziemski

Re: When to plant Bamboos from pot to ground

Post by Neil Ziemski »

Fargesia rufa is an early shooter for me, in fact the earliest, mid march.
They won't be bothered, certainly if they are small, to stay in their pots for now.
Neil
Adam D

Post by Adam D »

I was told that you could plant bamboo out any time of the year apart from when there was frost in the ground.

I have a Fargesia rufa and it performs really well up here in my garden. Be aware that whilst the culms are pretty straight it will produce a lot of top growth, so put it somewhere it can spread out at the top without knocking into anything.
Blairs

Post by Blairs »

I would put any plant in a pot out at anytime, as long as it is not wet/freezing. I put out some bamboo today.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

I reckon now would be ok as the ground shouldn't be frozen and if we get a cold snap its at more risk in the pot. Never move them in high summer I once did this and despite heavy watering it withered away.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

As, others have said now is fine.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

I would say anytime the ground isn't frozen, its better for the plant to be in the ground.