wilting bamboo

el paso

wilting bamboo

Post by el paso »

My bamboo appears to be wilting the ground is moist.I have 3 clumps they all look like this to varying degrees. Does anyone know what is wrong, could it be wind damage?
Attachments
rps20140208_212948_221.jpg
Mixed moso

Re: wilting bamboo

Post by Mixed moso »

That's a tough one. First, what kind of bamboo is it? A fargesia of some kind? Secondly, is it in full sun and/ or particularly exposed to the wind? Some montane species (thamnocalamus and some fargesia spp. for example) show leaf curl in full sun, and wind desiccation can have a similar effect, although I've never seen one as bad as that. If the leaves don't recover, don't worry, the culms should re-leaf in the spring. The other possibility is flowering. It's hard to tell from the photo, but is that straw coloured area on the right just leaves?
el paso

Post by el paso »

Thanks this one is in full sun and has been in the ground for about 8 or 9 years I think. Sorry don't know what type it is as I brought before I got into gardening and have never bothered to identify it. Also I have no old pictures apart from the ones on the new member page which don't show the bamboos well as I lost them all when I broke my phone. The others are in pretty much all day shade and they are divisions of this plant but are not as bad. I will post some better pictures when/if the wind drops long enough to do so.
Neil Ziemski

Post by Neil Ziemski »

Full sun can have this effect but not this time of year, it's cold and wind that turn mine like the example in your picture.
My yushania look very similar at the moment.
Mine always come flying back in summer though so I wouldn't worry.
Neil
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Its certainly suffering from lack of water or too much drying of the leaves caused by constant winds and or cold. As its not cold or dry it must be the wind. My Chuaqueas look like that too. It should leaf out again in spring.
jacko

Post by jacko »

the other thing it could be is waterlogged.considering the amount of rain and flooding we've had it could be saturated ground depending on how good the drainage is in the soil.bamboos like water but not waterlogged i.e. 'wet feet'.
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

quite annoying how plants can look the same with too much or too little water
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

The species may have come to the end and needs re growing / planting from seed.