Japanese Blood Grass

Jonty2

Japanese Blood Grass

Post by Jonty2 »

I’ve seen some Japanese blood grass in the garden centre today. I’ve googled to see if these can be planted by seed but couldn’t find any available.
Does anyone know if seeds are available?
Chez2

Japanese Blood Grass

Post by Chez2 »

I read that it is difficult to keep blood grass. I'm not sure exactly what conditions it likes but we had one and it died. It was in an area with lots of other plants, some quite tender but they all survived and the blood grass didn't.
Grassy

Japanese Blood Grass

Post by Grassy »

I’ve some bloodgrass and I’ve found it not to hard to keep.Its doesn’t like very wet soil but good drainage.It can take full sun or partial shade.I normally cut just above ground level in February.Looks stunning in clumps.Seeds could be hard to come by as it rarely flowers.
GREVILLEAJ

Japanese Blood Grass

Post by GREVILLEAJ »

Bought a clump last year and it survived a relatively mild and dry winter. I would think you'd be better off buying a plant and dividing it each spring.

If you get many divisions you can pot some and overwinter them somewhere sheltered as standby in the event a severe freeze does for them.
Chez2

Japanese Blood Grass

Post by Chez2 »

Grassy wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 7:36 pm I’ve some bloodgrass and I’ve found it not to hard to keep.Its doesn’t like very wet soil but good drainage.It can take full sun or partial shade.I normally cut just above ground level in February.Looks stunning in clumps.Seeds could be hard to come by as it rarely flowers.
Hmm, I'm even more confused then. All our soil is well drained. Its not in the bone dry area, more the average to well drained. The only shade it got was by the surrounding plants.
daz h

Japanese Blood Grass

Post by daz h »

I've got some in pots in full sun , very easy to divide to get more plants and easy to look after
chainsaw kid

Japanese Blood Grass

Post by chainsaw kid »

I tried in vain to grow Blood Grass for a number of years Then some years ago I was AT a RHS show admiring the grass and a Japanese guy stood next to me and over heard me bemoaning the fact I couldn't grow the stuff,(I garden on sand) he then said "were I live it grows all over the place". Thinking I was going to learn something useful I asked him were he lived, his retort, Japan in the paddy fields, it grows every were! However it was such a long time ago I can't remember if it was actually in the paddies or the low banks around the paddies, the latter I think? A that point I gave up trying to grow the stuff! So it would seem it likes its feet wet, and if growing on the steep banks it would be in shade for part of the day, although it would be warm. Hope that helps. icon_thumright
Don't Just sit there, plant something!

The Kid.
Chez2

Japanese Blood Grass

Post by Chez2 »

Maybe it was too dry and sunny in my garden too then chainsaw kid.
chainsaw kid

Japanese Blood Grass

Post by chainsaw kid »

Chez2 wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 12:15 pm Maybe it was too dry and sunny in my garden too then chainsaw kid.
You could be right Chez, we certainly can't emulate paddy fields.
Don't Just sit there, plant something!

The Kid.