Bamboo Screen / Hedge

Jonty2

Bamboo Screen / Hedge

Post by Jonty2 »

I would like to use bamboo along my fence as there is a strip of soil between it and the patio (7m long, 0.5m deep, 2m high)

I have read that bamboo can spread easily and can be a problem. Are there any recommendations to use that would just stay in this area? It would be nice to use a variety too to mix it up.
GREVILLEAJ

Bamboo Screen / Hedge

Post by GREVILLEAJ »

Phyllostaćhys are generally well behaved. Is there a possibilit of a rogue runner spreading under the fence?
Jonty2

Bamboo Screen / Hedge

Post by Jonty2 »

Yes, they could get into next door, would it be ok in long pots? I’ve read that these would need to be really strong to prevent the root from breaking through
GREVILLEAJ

Bamboo Screen / Hedge

Post by GREVILLEAJ »

Not sure if you mean deep pots or long troughs. :lol: Bamboos are shallow rooters. You might be better off burying a bamboo root barrier cheaply obtained online
Chez2

Bamboo Screen / Hedge

Post by Chez2 »

Cement paving slabs in vertically to make a barrier.
karl66

Bamboo Screen / Hedge

Post by karl66 »

Hi jonty, i'm afraid ive got to disagree with Grev regarding phyllostachys being well behaved!....it is only my experience i'm talking about. Some of mine have been as good as gold but i'd not recommend along a fence as they'll soon be friendly with your neighbour regardless of containing with barriers, I've used hard upvc/ concrete slabs sealed! and the moat system,once the happy you wont keep track of them. Fargesia campbell or Asian wonder is good for hedging but campbell although classed as a clumper is very vigourous and will need regular root pruning.
chainsaw kid

Bamboo Screen / Hedge

Post by chainsaw kid »

I'm with Karl on this one, I have used concrete slabs cemented together but they still get through. I only have one that doesn't run which is a blue one but I cant remember which one! Sorry. However I doubt you would want to make hedge out of it I seem to remember they cost an arm and a leg and then some. Infract I have just gone and had a look at mine and It looks as if its on its way out. :ahhh!: icon_scratch I don't think I be buying another. :roll: icon_salut
Don't Just sit there, plant something!

The Kid.