When to move a Fargesia robusta?

weve

When to move a Fargesia robusta?

Post by weve »

Hi All
Need to move my F. robusta (only about a metre or so away from its present position. I underestimated the top spread stupidly!). It's been in the ground about 30 months now with a base spread of about 2ft)

When is the best time to do this? I'm guessing late Feb/March when the new culms are shooting. But checking with you all now, just in case its autumn :)

Thanks

weve
weve

Re: When to move a Fargesia robusta?

Post by weve »

Hi again
I finally found some info on the web (only after i posted, of course, Duh!)

According to this info I couldn't have been more wrong!

"Never transplant bamboo when it is shooting. Dig bamboo either very early in the spring before there’s any chance of shooting or wait for the growth period to be over late in the autumn."

Sorry, chaps & chapesses

weve
jonny

Post by jonny »

I say go for it now. I split mine last september and it didnt mined at all!
manxmann

Post by manxmann »

Hi Weve. Have you a photo of your robusta please? im curious to see what it looks like after 30months. Ive got 10no 3lt plants that i planted in March this year to form a screen. Theyre growing well already. Thanks
simon

Post by simon »

Hi Weve, is the problem that it is flopping over a path or something? I was under the impression that robusta was quite upright (for a Fargesia) once it got some good sized culms.

As Manxmann said, some photos would be nice.
weve

Post by weve »

Getting photos sorted, I'll upload them this evening.
best
weve
Nick

Post by Nick »

Weve, Hi ya, photo's would be most helpful, I've been keeping an eye out for you since we chatted the other night, I take it you to are on nights at the moment :?: Pm so we can chat if you wish icon_cheers icon_cheers

icon_sunny icon_sunny
weve

Post by weve »

Hi All

Thanks Jonny. Have therefore decided to do it at the end of this month. Cheers.

The problem is only aesthetic. My bananas have pupped furiously and have spread in the last two years and the fargesia has bulked up nicely too. (BTW the robusta is in full sun on a clayey, mildly alkaline soil with perlite and compost added). Trouble is they are now a little too close together for the visual effect I want. Can't really see in the photos, but the overhanging banana leaves push the culms apart, down and outwards and it all looks a bit of a mess. By moving the Fargesia just a little further away from the nanas, it should look better.

I too understand robusta as having an upright habit (as does nitidia apparently, which I have recently planted and am trying in a shadier part of the garden)

Anyway, Chaps, Here are some pics as requested.

Just after planting (August 2007). About 4ft tall and only 3 culms:
fargrob2007s.jpg
July 2008, Lots of short culms. (BTW that's a small Choisya "aztec pearl' planted in front)
HPIM2566s.jpg
End of January 2009.
HPIM3205s.jpg
Mid July this year. Really took off in spring producing many 6ft+ culms (For scale, the fence is about 6ft 6")
HPIM3886s.jpg
Today:
HPIM3984s.jpg
Hope you find the pics helpful. I was wrong about 30 months in my original post. Its only been in 25!

Nick: Not on nights but up late alot. Happy to chat. Is access to the chatroom a problem? not been in.

best

weve