Arundo Donax

daftbanana

Arundo Donax

Post by daftbanana »

Do any readers have Arundo Donax? I have ordered a couple of small plants of this to hopefully create bit of a 'wind break' in the garden against the garden fence. I understand it grows rapidly and can be invasive, is it best to use a root barrier and what sort of temps does it need to contuinue to grow?
bobbyd44

Re: Arundo Donax

Post by bobbyd44 »

i dont think it gets too invasive in this country!! where did you order it from please?? still something i am after :D
daftbanana

Post by daftbanana »

Hi bobbyd, got it off EBAY- hopefully it will be a quick way of creating a bit of a screen in the garden as it seems very exposed at the moment despite a six foot fence all round. I understand it's hardier than the variegated kind so should be bit of an 'evergreen'.
Jo A P

Post by Jo A P »

If it's what I think it is nip down to see me, it grows everywhere here! Can it be grown from seed? I could collect it if it can. I've never bothered to look for seeds on it, I assume they're amongst the plumes.
daftbanana

Post by daftbanana »

Love too, but not planning a trip to Italy at the moment! from what I've read, it doesn't produce seed?? but apparantly grows very easily from the smallest amount of culm taken from an established patch.
bobbyd44

Post by bobbyd44 »

it probably is i saw masses of it in portugal this summer probably about 18 foot high looked very impressive!!
simon

Post by simon »

I have a couple of clums including variegata which appears just a s hardy by doesn't size up as well.

Don't expect it to be completely evergreen here. It can be killed back by hard frost or dessicated by cold wind but remains loosely intact and tatty through winter. I cut the dead canes out in spring, as they give some protection to the roots, which are generally very hardy. It shouldn't be too invasive here, but you can dig out clumps of root to give away if it becomes too big.
Chalk Brow

Post by Chalk Brow »

I have grown Arundo donax in the past, and at the moment have the variegated form in the garden. I find it fast growing, and if it likes where it is it very quickly makes a sizable clump, within in a couple of years it can make a clump three foot or more across, and be up to eight foot or more tall. I usually cut it down to the ground each spring as the fresh growth looks better than the old, which can look tatty.
Jo A P

Post by Jo A P »

Well if it will grow from a small piece of root I can send a bit if anyone wants to try it.
Mine does as it pleases & I don't mind the old stems & leaves flopping about.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Melissa has one :lol: :lol:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by bev »

i have a. donax vareigata and a new one to me, a. donax macrophylla which is supposed to have the largest leaves. i got it from todds botanics but haven't planted it yet.

cheers

lee
becky

Post by becky »

i have the varigated form , this is my first year of growing it, it has grown fast , but im not sure what im suppose to do with it at winter :?: can it stay out :?: im hoping mine will screan the one fence to help provent wind too in time icon_thumleft
bev

Post by bev »

i left mine out becky, it will keep it's canes but will look a bit tatty come spring when i cut mine back to the ground.

i think you can leave the old canes on and they will re-shoot with small thin branches but the leaves are smaller and can look a bit messy.

cheers

lee
becky

Post by becky »

thanks lee il see what happens icon_thumleft
eyefi

Post by eyefi »

i bought some from http://www.junglegardens.co.uk/PlantOrders/enter.html
and then found a massive area growing wild locally :lol: