Monster bamboo's

metalhammer

Re: Monster bamboo's

Post by metalhammer »

I also planted out a Fargesia robusta into a 130litre pot.This is a more manageable clumper anyway,but it's 3-4 metre foliage hanging over my exotics should look good.

The Shanghai 3 when it has finished filling it's current pot with roots,will then go into a 500litre pot,they are 46" in diameter.Biggest pot I can currently find is 1500litre,it's not only the cost of buying the pot(£190),but the cost of compost to fill it,at least 60 x 25litre bags of John Innes,so that will be another £240 as well.

I also have an idea in my head of a couple of Chamerops cerifera in a biggish pot(250litre),with a mediterranean tree heather planted behind it,color combination & foliage types should balance each other.

metalhammer.
Gareth in Leeds

Post by Gareth in Leeds »

My biggest and best so far are:
Chusquea gigantea, a wonderful plant. I got it from George at the Palm House, and I can only repeat what he said to me: "plant it and then stand back- quickly". Crikey, does it put on size rapidly.
Phyllostachys vivax aureocaulis. I tried to contain it in a 170 litre pot. After a couple of years and 15 foot culms, it outgrew its pot and needed watering twice a day in summer. It's now the very first new plant in the new exotic area of my garden. I will be posting pictures and progress reports on this project as time allows. At the moment, I feel there is only so much public interest in pictures of brambles, hawthorns and a P.vivax aureocaulis in the middle of these.
metalhammer

Post by metalhammer »

I would like to plant it in the ground,but,I did see one at Abbotsbury a few years back,& it was spreading quite nicely,culms popping up all over the place.My idea is if I can grow it for maybe 5 or 6 years in the pot,I can then chop it up into smaller pieces & start again,where as if I plant in the ground I'll either need a JCB or 100lbs of gelignite :x :x :x .

metalhammer.
Andy J

Post by Andy J »

I have a Phyllostachys "Shanghai 3" that i got from Mark at Todds Botanics about 3 years ago.

It was about 7ft tall once in the ground. Last year the culms hit about 15ft and its already sending out culms this year. Looks like its gonna be a biggie. icon_thumleft
metalhammer

Post by metalhammer »

Had the seeds of the Dendrocalamus come from Jungle seeds on Friday,tiny little seeds about the size of a peppercorn.

metalhammer.