New vivax culms

jacko

Re: New vivax culms

Post by jacko »

cheers lazlo,been very windy today and they've handled it no problem and started to leaf up so i can relax a bit now :lol:
jacko

Post by jacko »

here they are now all leafed up.
Attachments
DSCF4242.JPG
DSCF4249.JPG
Adam D

Post by Adam D »

Very good!

Don't you just love the colour of fresh bamboo leaves?
jacko

Post by jacko »

yeah its a great contrast between bright yellow culms and grasshopper green leaves on the vivax.
Lazlo Woodbine

Post by Lazlo Woodbine »

Any chance of another long range shot across the fences jacko?
:DD

Laz
jacko

Post by jacko »

try these,its difficult to get it all in.lol.
Attachments
DSCF4243.JPG
this was taken on 02.07.10,my mrs is 5ft 4ins.ive darkened the sky to try and get the tops in.
this was taken on 02.07.10,my mrs is 5ft 4ins.ive darkened the sky to try and get the tops in.
DSCF4249.JPG
DSCF4250.JPG
Adam D

Post by Adam D »

I never cease to be amazed by your growth rates Jacko.

Does you wife like the way the garden has changed?
Caroline

Post by Caroline »

Awesome!

It's great to see the pictures, I really like the views through the garden too, the coloured canes and fresh green leaves look fab, I aspire to such lushness.

I must get myself some more bamboos - and maybe learn some witchcraft. :D

C
Nick

Post by Nick »

My Vivax Culm was a small very thin culm this year, but as it's not been in the ground for a year yet,I just hope it will grow to make as much growth as can be seen in the photo's before this entry :lol: time will tell :lol:

icon_sunny icon_sunny
jacko

Post by jacko »

cheers everyone,yes adam the mrs. likes the effect and as for growth rate i'm astounded myself.nick i'd say in its third season/year you'll see it take off.(thats my experience anyway).caroline bamboos and witchcraft hmmmm.... interesting.lol.
Adam D

Post by Adam D »

First year = sleep
Second year = creep
Third year = reap

(As long as you live in a reasonably warm climate and have wonderful soil like Jacko!)
Nick

Post by Nick »

Adam, not bad soil, but has chalk about 17 inches down, it's getting lots of water and in summer it gets sun from about 9:00am until the sun sets at about 8pm but no sun at all in the winter as it's on the East side of my garden with lots of other plants icon_scratch

icon_sunny icon_sunny
jacko

Post by jacko »

keep chucking organic material at the base and around your bamboo.i use old compost,leaves,grass clippings,straw.all the bamboo prunings get shredded and fed back to them.the 'vital earth' range of composts are good like 'eco mulch' and 'soil conditioner' plus 2 applications of blood fish and bone twice a year early spring and autumn.plus heavy mulch of hay/straw in winter.nick watch out for cold dry east winds in winter it can dessicate bamboos,all mine are sheltered from the east by the house and face west.
Nick

Post by Nick »

Jacko thank you, for the information.

icon_sunny icon_sunny
jacko

Post by jacko »

4 new late season culms have just appeared,i doubt they'll make it through the winter though unless its mild this year.
Attachments