bamboo jungle

Simba

Re: bamboo jungle

Post by Simba »

I love your bamboo glade Jacko, and although I do have quite a few biggish plants myself, I would love to squeeze in many more, even into my small garden, to give a look like yours..... :lol:

Going back to page one, what is the green culmed boo in photo #4...?
Looks very much like one I just got, Vivax Huenvenzhu... :D
jacko

Post by jacko »

cheers simba,yeah it is huanvenzhu planted together with aureocaulis on the right.
Andrew Smith

Post by Andrew Smith »

Wonderful photos from last Summer Jacko. I liked the before and after shots. You have a great bamboo collection there.

Was that a Tree Fern I could see in photo 1?

How is your Bamboo Jungle surviving the winter?

I've just added X Hibanobambusa tranquillans 'Shiroshima' to my small collection consisting of Phyllostachys nigra, Phyllostachys vivax 'Aureocaulis', Pseudosasa japonica and Borinda papyrifera CS1046.

Do you ever find when you plant a new Bamboo it "sulks" for a while before settling in? I planted a new Borinda papyrifera CS1046 a few weeks ago and some leaves have gone yellow, although I have spotted a few new shots appearing.
jacko

Post by jacko »

winter has battered a few of the less hardy varieties and my borinda has been topkilled to the ground again this year.lots of leaf loss on many of the others but the new leaf buds are swelling up and should refoliate soon.the tree fern is a 4footer and seems ok at the moment with some knuckles present in the crown.depending on what time of year you plant them they can appear dormant for a while.i just moved a f.scabrida in feb and its now shooting a month later.if i'd moved it in autumn i would'nt have seen any growth till the following spring.
Simba

Post by Simba »

jacko wrote:my borinda has been topkilled to the ground again this year..
What do you do with it now Jacko...?
Do you just leave it to nature, or do you trim it down to reshoot..?
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

:ahhh!: its going to get out of hand........
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
jacko

Post by jacko »

the borinda is chopped to the ground and i leave it to nature.its well mulched and thats about all i can do with it.regarding it all getting out of hand, that could well happen if i dont root/rhizome prune,its the vivax's that are the scary ones :lol: