Mulu nursery .... has anyone used it?

Lazlo Woodbine

Mulu nursery .... has anyone used it?

Post by Lazlo Woodbine »

I've been after a Borinda papyrifera for ages, and apart from Jungle Giants' the only place I can find who has it is Mulu in Chesire.

As I've never heard of them I was just wondering if anyone has bought from there before?

Laz
jacko

Re: Mulu nursery .... has anyone used it?

Post by jacko »

no i havent,i use jungle giants because they are not far from me.plus quality of plants is excellent.my papyrifera has bounced back this season after being topkilled by winter,thank goodness because its not a cheap plant.
Adam D

Post by Adam D »

I last used them 7 years ago when Andy Bateman (?) was in charge there.

They used to have a really good selection of plants.

It changed ownership 4 or 5 years ago I think.
grub

Post by grub »

The firm in Cheshire bought the Mulu name but I don't think Andy has anything to do with it, I'm sure there are quite a few threads on the subject. I think I'm correct in saying that when Andy's Landlords saw he was making good money they forced him off the site and changed the name to Vale :evil: (Which is 1 reason why I don't shop there), this of course led to Andy having to wind up Mulu :(
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Yes, I heard that Grub, sorry state of affairs. Mulu built up the reputation of exotic plants from that location, and the landlords forced him out cashing in on what has been set up over the years. :roll:

The name Mulu now has no link to the original :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by outatime1978 »

I HAVE USED THEM A NUMBER OF TIMES,A CHAP CALLED PETE,GOT MY WASHINGTONIA, A BASJOO AND A SABLE MINOR THIS YEAR ALL VERY NICE PLANTS AT A GOOD PRICE!!! :D
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

outatime1978 wrote:I HAVE USED THEM A NUMBER OF TIMES,A CHAP CALLED PETE,GOT MY WASHINGTONIA, A BASJOO AND A SABLE MINOR THIS YEAR ALL VERY NICE PLANTS AT A GOOD PRICE!!! :D
Who.... ? Vale, or the new Mulu?
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Jon Boy »

I called in at Vale the other week on route to CGF. I was aware they had a 20% sale on, but to be honest the majority of stuff in the greenhouse was in a poor state, everything was very dry which was ironic as it was lashing it down outside. The layout was haphazard, nothing like the displays Mulu had.

The bigger stuff outside faired a lot better, the usual selection of hardy palms and bamboos and a reasonable selection of Dicksonia antarctica's in various sizes.

Overall though, despite Vale being relatively close, I'd rather travel three times the distance and go to Amulree or Urban Jungle.

Jon
Lazlo Woodbine

Post by Lazlo Woodbine »

Thanks for all your input.... 8)

Looks like paying a few quid extra and going to Jungle Giants' would be the safer option.

Laz
jacko

Post by jacko »

yes,i agree laz.
dk

Post by dk »

Are these guys closed for the season, out of business or just slow to respond to inquiries?

I've sent them two e-mails in the last week and a half and still no replay.....
Simba

Post by Simba »

Lazlo Woodbine wrote:Thanks for all your input.... 8)

Looks like paying a few quid extra and going to Jungle Giants' would be the safer option.

Laz
To echo what Jacko has said,

I have ordered a couple of bamboo (Borinda Papyrifera & Thamnocalamus 'Kew Beauty') from Jungle Giants, and I have been very impressed with their service and quality/size of plant.

I would completely recommend going with Jungle Giants... icon_thumleft