late autumn culms

jacko

late autumn culms

Post by jacko »

loads of new culms have just popped up,why? i dont know.my black has got about 10 i can see at the moment.p. aurea koi has 2.b.papyrifera has 1.loads of rhizomes and culms on the spectabilis.12 on the vivax(although 9 stalled).2 on the chusquea culeou.1 on my henon,2 on p.b. holochrysa.heres a couple of pics taken today 30.09.10
Attachments
p.nigra
p.nigra
p.nigra
p.nigra
p.aurea koi
p.aurea koi
p.aurea koi
p.aurea koi
Darlo Mark

Re: late autumn culms

Post by Darlo Mark »

warm soil and plenty of rain me thinks.
jacko

Post by jacko »

yeah there has been a lot of rain here recently.
Adam D

Post by Adam D »

Not much going on with mine Jacko.

I am sure it's that black, Welsh gold that they are growing in that is making them go a bit crazy.
Caroline

Post by Caroline »

I have a few clumps of bamboo around the garden and the Fargesia robustia has been sending out lots of new culms - with the tallest now higher than the ones send out earlier this year, the overflow from one of my water butts runs out at the bottom of this one.

I also have three clumps of a running type (don’t know the name) all divided from the same plant, and one clump has send out a few new, rocket like, culms recently - this one has the overflow from another one of my water butts. Concluding that it is probably the water that is having the biggest effect on the growth at this time of year.
jacko

Post by jacko »

nothing on my f.robusta,but i think your right about soil and water.ground is soaked from all the rain and i am lucky in having very fertile soil.
Ali

Post by Ali »

Nice.

I also have quite fresh autumn culms on the Bissetii , will they die back during frosts ?
Adam D

Post by Adam D »

Ali wrote:Nice.

I also have quite fresh autumn culms on the Bissetii , will they die back during frosts ?
Unless they are fully hardened off then they will die.

Funnily enough I was outside checking my garden today and I noticed that my Ph. nigra is sending up one puny culm.