Bamboo-zle me <-- geddit?

khaskings

Bamboo-zle me <-- geddit?

Post by khaskings »

Hello bamboo lovers, I come in peace icon_thumleft

I'm a bamboo virgin, other than the stuff I use for the plants to grow up. Having seen some very impressive photos on the forum I would like to get involved. My gardening is usually based around the following criteria:

- stuff that looks spectacular
- stuff that looks bizarre
- stuff that is eyecatching due to its size, shape, colour
- expensive stuff that I picked up for a bargain

I tend to avoid stuff that is short lived or really difficult to care for ie very specific heat/light/feed requirements, and frost free over-wintering space is at a premium and limited to 7ft high (currently).

With this in mind what bamboos would you recommend for;

size (both height and girth)
colour (of the leaves and stems)
attractive for other reasons than size and colour
hardiness for the UK (south east)

What should i avoid as a bamboo newbie?

Also, what are the downsides of being a bamboo owner. Our fences are secure so I don't think pandas will be a problem.

Cheers,

Mike.
jacko

Re: Bamboo-zle me <-- geddit?

Post by jacko »

if you want size and rapid results go for a vivax.Phyllostachys vivax 'Aureocaulis' is also stunning in its colour a lovely buttery yellow.give it plenty of room and stand back.black bamboo develops a lovely fluted shape as well as stunning black culms.another large one is Phyllostachys nigra 'Henonis' or henon bamboo a cousin to the black.a stunning golden yellow one is Phyllostachys bambusoides Holochrysa.a blue one called borinda papyrifera (ok down to -10C).the others i've mentioned are hardy enough to cope with a kent winter i would think,i'm in mid wales and mine are doing fine.avoid ones with 'sasa' in their names they spread like wildfire.to keep them in check you have to rhizome prune in late autumn thats a bit of a downside.but you have to do it.chusquea culeou is a nice clumper,chusquea gigantea is massive and can take over,but if you got space its amazing.dont let them dry out,plenty of organic mulches,dont overwater either they dont like sodden soil that doesnt drain.hay or straw mulch over winter.fertilize twice a year in early spring and early autumn with blood fish and bone,thin out weak spindly culms and dead culms.take off the lower branches when its matured a bit to show off the culms.if they get to high you can prune them to whatever height you want.thats about all i can think of at the moment,hope this helps :D
khaskings

Re: Bamboo-zle me <-- geddit?

Post by khaskings »

File ---> Print icon_thumleft

Just the sort of answer I was looking for Jacko. icon_cheers

Cheers,

Mike.