Jiuzhaigou

Ali

Jiuzhaigou

Post by Ali »

Hello everybody.

This is the first year I cultivate the Fargesia ssp Juiuzhaigou , planted in July it seems to be enjoying its stay here.

I must say I like the declicateness ( is that a word ) of it , it is growing next to a Bissetii and you can tell a difference...

Does anyone here cultivate Jiuzhaigou and if so what are your experience of it ?
Adam D

Re: Jiuzhaigou

Post by Adam D »

There seem to be various clones of this bamboo Ali and they are numbered.

Which one are you referring to?

I have the number 1, which I bought a couple of years and it performance has been below average, but it is very pretty. It was planted in the ground a couple of months ago though after having been in a pot for two years, so I am hoping for a better performance next year :)
jacko

Post by jacko »

mines a 'genf ' variety which is slightly taller and gets quite a red/orange culm colour in late winter.its performed really well here.in 2 years it has gone from 2ft to 9ft.the new culms can be brittle and snap easily until they harden off.
Lazlo Woodbine

Post by Lazlo Woodbine »

Iv'e had a no1 for a year or so ..... lovely plant ..... :D
garden oct 10 10 035.JPG

Laz
Ali

Post by Ali »

I belive it is Jiuzhaigou 1 , and yes Lazlo , it is a nice plant.

It will be interesting to see how it responds to our winter.
jacko

Post by jacko »

they're pretty tough mine salled through last winter with -13C and prolonged -10's no leaf burn nothing,just gorgeous orangey red culms during those cold months.
Adam D

Post by Adam D »

Ali wrote:

I belive it is Jiuzhaigou 1 , and yes Lazlo , it is a nice plant.

It will be interesting to see how it responds to our winter.
My Jiuzhaigou 1 survived last winter outside in a pot and was very cold up here for a long time, so I reckon it is a tough one.
musa_monkey

Post by musa_monkey »

Mine was potted and left out last winter and took -12c no problem at all. Very nice plant the fine structure making it visibly different from my other bamboo
Simba

Post by Simba »

Mine is supposedly #2 variety, that I have had for a couple of years now.

Very slow in it's first year, and I decided to move it to a less prominent place, and I forgot about it there.
This year it has really bushed out, but it has really surprised me at how short it is.

No culms reach higher that about 4ft, but really dense foliage, so I am sure it is quite happy where it is.... icon_scratch