Musa basjoo flowering

Palmesan

Musa basjoo flowering

Post by Palmesan »

So I’ve just come back from a week camping and I’ve started tidying up the garden again I’ve noticed a huge flower from the largest of my 8 musa’s.

I’ve had these for over 6 years and I’ve never expected them to flower before but I’m over the moon that it has :D

What are my next steps? Will it develop edible fruit? Do I have to look after it any different to what I have been?

I’d love to post a picture but don’t know how to add images
GREVILLEAJ

Musa basjoo flowering

Post by GREVILLEAJ »

Hi Sam. Well done that your banana has gone bananas icon_salut

The fruit is tiny, full of seeds and utterly inedible. Apparently, there is a Japanese recipe which recommends pickling them in Saki for two to three years and then cooking them. At this point, they are apparently ready for (human) consumption. As I know not if the peel or seeds require removal before or after, I wouldn't bother particularly as it represents a waste of a good Saki :lol:

As for after care, the whole plant will die after fruiting. Pups will take over. Continue care as before.
Palmesan

Musa basjoo flowering

Post by Palmesan »

Fair enough, thanks for the reply, think I’ll give it a miss on the saki recipe :lol:

Gutted it means it’s the death of the plant but there are plenty more pups to take over icon_cheers
GREVILLEAJ

Musa basjoo flowering

Post by GREVILLEAJ »

Try and get a picture of it for posterity. (That's not an Italian version of the Saki recipe! drunken_smilie1 icon_chef )

With the forum closing I don't think there is anyone around anymore to give you guidance on posting the pic. Not very good at these things but I'll try to help.

If you have filed a picture of it on your mobile you can start the process by clicking the ADD FILES below the 'post a reply' box. This should allow you to select your image from your gallery file. The complicated bit is the pic may be too large so you have to select the pic through a picture reduction app first. When it has been reduced you should be able to 'select' and it will place itself below the reply box where you can upload it.

All the best, Sam. I'll look in to see if you are successful. icon_thumleft
Palmesan

Musa basjoo flowering

Post by Palmesan »

It’s a shame the forum is closing and I didn’t stumble upon it beforehand.

Thanks for the help on posting pictures, I thought it was a lot more difficult than that.

Here are pics of the current crop and the latest musa’s I planted in the other corner by carefully removing some of the pups.

The leaves took some damage from the thunderstorms we had recently icon_thumbdown
Attachments
CB97D394-EB6D-42B5-965A-8C0C382F9CF2.jpeg
0A872F68-CC93-4EDB-BC45-91E99749FD01.jpeg
20383358-0A29-49F8-A264-E4010425451C.jpeg
Adam R84

Musa basjoo flowering

Post by Adam R84 »

Very nice