Musella lasiocarpa

musa_monkey

Musella lasiocarpa

Post by musa_monkey »

It never ceases to amaze me just how many pups this plant can create.
Here's a little one with no less than 20 pups of its own (i gave up counting)

Very slow to grow though, even if you remove all the pups as they appear.

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Re: Musella lasiocarpa

Post by Dave Brown »

Yes, mine are now about a foot tall, and this is an established clump about 6 years old. :roll:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by rburrena »

This is mine, I bought it as one plant with 2 pups last year, since being knocked back by the cold its been pupping like crazy!

Mr List

Post by Mr List »

is this the golden lotus nana?

i just bought one of these and if so can you post some pictures of yours dave?
rburrena

Post by rburrena »

Compare it to last year, only 2 or 3 pups...

Mr List wrote:is this the golden lotus nana?
Yeah, i dont think mine will ever flower (the golden bit, lol) unless we have a very mild winter .
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

My seed grown one from last year is doing really well planted outside, the stem has fattened up nicely. not tall in height but is doing good :) so glad i know that they are slow growers. :)
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

do you guys not bother protecting them like basjoos to keep any height then?
grub

Post by grub »

Musella isn't hardy for me without protection hence I don't grow it anymore :wink: .
rburrena

Post by rburrena »

Mr List wrote:do you guys not bother protecting them like basjoos to keep any height then?
I tried but it rotted away under the protection, so i gave up and it died to the ground, started coming back in may.
Bob

Post by Bob »

I had mine in the ground for a couple of years, it survived but losing all it's top growth after each winter meant it never had time to re-grow during the season. In a 12" pot for the last two years and overwintered in the greenhouse gives it a good start each year. Who knows, given a couple of good summers I may get it to flower.

Mr List

Post by Mr List »

seems like it could be put to use as a jungly ground cover plant rather than thinking of it as you do other banana plants.

i think i will put mine where my £5 bedding cdip is if it dies this winter.
philip kitts

Post by philip kitts »

Just bought mine at the local home base clearance sale £1.99 . I let out a high pitched squeal of excitement wiwhich sent my girlfriend running for the hills ha ha. That,ll teach her to make me decorate,I think there's room in the bay window under the weeping fig next to the colcasia calidora icon_cheers
Jo A P

Post by Jo A P »

I've been looking for one recently without much success. If they produce so many offspring, why are they often expensive?
I don't do the big bananas :oops: (they don't take the wind here) but I thought one of these would do me nicely!

Advice on care? Are they easy from seed?