Storing Canna

kata

Re: Storing Canna

Post by kata »

:lol: :lol:

Thanks everyone,

Thanks Goggle, no I did'nt know. I don't want to do seed I want plants as early as possible next season.

Anyway I found a roll from Baco foil I had saved for 'something', hard as iron. I very gently put the bud inside and toppped foil in the top then round the neck of the bud.

I then emptied qtr carton of slug pellets :lol: :lol: :lol: around the bottom of the stem and came in as it was getting dark....bud is safe and sound when I removed the roller this morning.

Just an emergency treatment till I go to Homebase today.
icon_cheers icon_cheers
Ian Cooke

Post by Ian Cooke »

kata wrote:.............bud is safe and sound when I removed the roller this morning.......................
Don't use that term with cannas - panic - leaf-rollers are a terrible pest of cannas in warm climates - let's hope we never get them in the UK! :ahhh!:
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

I have brought 2 canna's only, one was virsued i posted a pic last year of it, i was very disappointed and the other was ok, the other 30+ have been grown from seed. I would love to go out and buy canna's straight from a shop but i just don't feel confident in buying them as most look tatty ok they could not be virused but i would not like to take the risk, so for me it will just be a case of growing from seed really. Unless a member on here is selling canna's then i would feel more comfortable with buying from them. :)
kata

Post by kata »

Don't use that term with cannas - panic - leaf-rollers are a terrible pest of cannas in warm climates - let's hope we never get them in the UK! :ahhh!:
Really Ian, never heard of that. I got the slugit liquid but also still using the foil inner yet. It goes on at night and comes off early morn, seems to be doing the job.

I just want to see it flower before winter.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Ian Cooke

Post by Ian Cooke »

Slightly off topic but reminds me of when I used to grow exhibition chrysanthemums years ago. We used to put a blown up paper bag over the bud and the flower developed protected inside. It was always a dodgy moment when the bag was opened to see if the bloom was perfect or chewed by earwigs!
kata

Post by kata »

A tenant before me in this bungalow Ian,

Her son/daughter planted stuff, a lovely orange and yellow Gladi appeared in the border. It was setting seed so I bagged it last week to catch the seed in case I missed it falling in the grass.

icon_cheers icon_cheers