Musa Basjoo in pots with pups over winter care?

Rachelpalm

Musa Basjoo in pots with pups over winter care?

Post by Rachelpalm »

Hello
I have 2 pots with Musa Basjoo in them which are now about as tall as me 5 foot 7, lol. They also have a couple of pups each which are about 2 foot tall which I have left in the pots. I am thinking of putting them in my garage over winter and they are potted up with the 50/50 mix thing, perlite etc. I was going to leave the pups where they were and try digging them out and replanting next year. My garage has 2 South facing windows and gets no lower than 0c. Will the banans be ok nd how often would they need water in my garage over winter? Once a fortnight? Never grown banana plants before so am totally new to it all. Is it better to trim leaves off over winter for the health of the plant? Any advice on over wintering bananas in a garage would be great.

Thanks very much
The Codfather

Re: Musa Basjoo in pots with pups over winter care?

Post by The Codfather »

Sat has just started a thread on this topic......
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
musa_monkey

Post by musa_monkey »

They will be fine. All my basjoos will go in the garage in a few weeks time and will get no water until next March and very little light from one small window. They always come back year after year with no problem.
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Totally fine in the garage. They will be fine in whatever they are growing in now, just limit/stop watering.
Rachelpalm

Post by Rachelpalm »

Hello
thanks very much indeed. I did ask about this before but it was so long ago I forgot.

Cheers
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

what about minimum temp ????
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
musa_monkey

Post by musa_monkey »

The Codfather wrote:what about minimum temp ????

I don't *think* my garage went below zero last year but i know it was close.

The one other thought i had was if you are not heating a storage space then using a fan to keep the air moving is a good idea to help avoid rot.
Rachelpalm

Post by Rachelpalm »

On nice days I will open the garage door to get fresh air to the plants. Cheers