My ensete 'Montbeliardii' update.

sanatic1234

My ensete 'Montbeliardii' update.

Post by sanatic1234 »

As promised kris some pics of my 'Montbeliardii', you will notice there is another leaf yellowing, i think a good inspection for Red Spider Mite is in order really or it could be because the roots are coming out the pot? but i am putting off re-potting due to winter coming as i am thinking about storing it bare rooted. Here are the pics.
Attachments
monty 23rd sep 2011.jpg
monty 23rd sep 2011 p2.jpg
monty 23rd sep 2011 p3.jpg
kata

Re: My ensete 'Montbeliardii' update.

Post by kata »

You grew it well,

Looks great in situ San. Whats the plan for winter with it?

What is Red Spider Mite San?

You have a warm week next week which will boost it further. :lol: :lol:
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

Red Spider Mite - red spider mite, I think this could be one reason why the leafs are turning yellow or the other reason is its screaming out re-pot me you fool my roots are out the bottom, i really must give it a check to see if it does have Red Spider Mite though. The advantage to where i have put it kata is that when there is a lot of wind, it doesn't get a battering as right behind it is the 30ft high conifers. :lol:

For the winter i was think of de-potting it taking off the soil and storing bare rooted like dave does? but undecided on what to do yet, i may keep it growing like kris is planning on doing i just don't want it to out grow the storage room it will be in.
musa_monkey

Post by musa_monkey »

That's a large plant in a small pot, i suspect the yellowing is more to do with a lack of mineral salts. If it were earlier in the year i would dose it with epsom salts.

Still, i wouldn't worry about it at this time of year, very nice plant by the way icon_thumleft
kata

Post by kata »

You know San, if you re-pot it will sulk, good thinking to keep it where it is.

Never give Red Spider Mite a thought :lol: :lol:

Was reading here about yellowing, apparently its short on nutrients, they decided, whoever on Sequestian is it San?

icon_cheers
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Glad the winds have not got to it Aaron!

Maybe needs more water/food? Saying that mine have only had a bit of miracle grow twice since I got them and not as yellow. Another factor is the temps? Mine have been kept in my open garage or the green house so a bit warmer.

For winter mine will go in the house or perhaps one in the greenhouse and one in the house. Height is a big issue!
Yorkshire Kris

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Mine are in the same sized pots are yours.
Yorkshire Kris

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Here aare mine when delivered on 15th July....
Attachments
Monty arrivals.jpg
Yorkshire Kris

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

And just now on 23rd September, two months later........
Attachments
monty growth.jpg
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

Looks like it is pointing towards nutrients then, I have just given my garden a water so hopefully the 'Montbeliardii' will appreciate it and i will give it a dose of miracle grow tomorrow should of done it tonight but didn't think of it when feeding the collies, the yellowing looks awful i think. Thanks for all the advice by the way its most appreciated.

Kris yours look stunning, they have put on quite a lot of height don't you think? good to see your leafs are looking good. :-) Is your roots bursting out of the pots?
Yorkshire Kris

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Yes they have grown really well and yes they have lots of lovely new roots. If I bring them into the house I will repot. They are both over 6 foot tall.
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

I think i may re-pot kris when i bring it inside the thought of the roots being layed bare on the floor does not appeal to me. I will just add plenty of perlite to the mix. :-)
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

I would have posted a pic of my new 'Montbeliardii'. My order was confirmed on 19th August but then nothing. After a month I emailed asking for a delivery date, and received this reply.

Sorry Dave but you are a competitor and its our policy not to sell to our competition. No money has been taken and the order cancelled. I trust you can understand our motives without taking any offence.

Kind Regards

Peter

I'm not taking offence, but I am struggling to understand the motive icon_scratch icon_scratch

Ensete Montbelardii only appears to live for 5 to seven years in our climate, so mine could be about to flower in the next couple of years. I'm not even sure if it will set seed, but even if it does they will not come true. As I don't have a replacement now to carry on, next year Mighty 'Montbeliardii' is set for the chop to try and produce a pup or two to carry on :wink:

Here is Mighty 'Montbeliardii' after Ex Hurricane Irene, but before Ex Hurricane Katia
Attachments
2011-09-08 18-58-04 Irene battered Monty.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by kata »

Good luck with the flowering in two years Dave,

:lol: :lol:
Darlo Mark

Post by Darlo Mark »

San , pots are too small! It'll be a nutrinent shortage. But too late for this year, if you overwinter it give a bigger pot next year!

Dave, how are you a competitor? Do you sell plants?