Overwintering Orinoco?

Wilson

Overwintering Orinoco?

Post by Wilson »

Hi
I have a young orinoco in a pot, about two foot high in a 12 inch pot in an unheated lean to. Can anyone suggest how I could overwinter this? icon_scratch
kata

Re: Overwintering Orinoco?

Post by kata »

Welcome to HT Wilson,

Its supposed to be hardy, maybe a mulch. Some people drain them before storing.

icon_cheers
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

kata wrote:Welcome to HT Wilson,

Its supposed to be hardy, maybe a mulch. Some people drain them before storing.

icon_cheers

Hi Wilson,

Sorry but Kata is incorrect. I don't grow Orinoco but I know they are not hardy. Quite a few people do grow it so hopefully will give you good advice.
kata

Post by kata »

Quite a few people do grow it so hopefully will give you good advice.
I would'nt say my advice was bad Kris,

I saw on the net they were hardy, probably depends where in the world you live. Some people prefer to give a deep mulch rather than remove them, some store after draining.

icon_cheers
grub

Post by grub »

Wilson welcome aboard icon_thumright , your Orinoco will be fine if you keep it a little on the dry side and maintain a temperature of around 10C.
grub

Post by grub »

kata wrote:

I saw on the net they were hardy, probably depends where in the world you live. Some people prefer to give a deep mulch rather than remove them, some store after draining.

icon_cheers
Unfortunately Kata, Wilson is in Herts :roll:
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

kata wrote:
Quite a few people do grow it so hopefully will give you good advice.

icon_cheers

No worries Kata I just don't think it was clear and could give the the impression that they are hardy like an oak tree is.
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

Thanks all

I have a basement with limited light so will maybe overwinter it there above 10C.
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

Hi and welcome to the forum,Wilson.

Orinoco is 'hardy' enough to be grown outside in zone 7 North Carolina where they get it to fruit. They may experience lower night-time temperatures in winter than we do but the straw-in-a-chickenwire-cage protection they give it is only needed for such a short period. Added to the fact that their growing season is twice as long as ours and with much higher temperatures to boot we have no choice but to overwinter it 'cool and dry' as Grub has suggested.

If it is to be stored in low light, a temperature above 13c may induce weak growth.
musa_monkey

Post by musa_monkey »

....and keep it very dry, i find them to be more sensitive to damp storage (and hence rot) than many of the bananas i grow.