When to start storing musas for winter,is this too early

nicebutdim

When to start storing musas for winter,is this too early

Post by nicebutdim »

Wondering if this is too early to store for winter,just cut one ensete vent ,the wild one not maurelli down from 12 feet as it won't fit in the house anywhere.I know the ethiopeans store them for months but no idea how they do it.The maurellis pull through after a fashion but I always lose these huge wild ones,they just don't survive even though kept at about 60f.Does anyone have any ideas.They are impossible to buy usually as the maurelliis seem t o be in abundance.I cut it down about 10 days ago to a foot off the ground but it's already grown 6" in this weather.
musa_monkey

Re: When to start storing musas for winter,is this too early

Post by musa_monkey »

I put most of mine away last week end, mainly due to limited time but i generally aim for mid to late October to get them into storage.

Have a look at the thread here;
http://www.hardytropicals.co.uk/forum/v ... 11&t=13623

Its not the only way to over winter ensete but its one i have been successful with in the past.
kata

Post by kata »

Is it not too early Musa its still warm,

I have none of course,,,, :lol: 16C and 14C at night. Till next saturday the lowest will be 14C
nicebutdim

Post by nicebutdim »

[media][/

I am interested mainly ,in storing ensete ventricosum ,the wild ethiopean variety .I found the maurelliis are a lot easier to keep.Maurellii seems to be the adopted name of the ensete vent,which is all green with a red rib.I have tried over many years to keep these without success,even keeping them alive until spring and then losing them.I asked Architecatural plants their technique which didn't work for me,it consisted of a heated floor surface ,they apparently got massacred in the frost but seemed to survive.I would have thought the surrounding air temperature would have cancelled out the heat at the roots ,maybe someome more knowledgeable can throw some light on this.
Unfortunately the video by Kris lost all sound, both on my pc and the video itself,so I was left in the dark a lot.