Musa "Mekong Giant"

Somerset77

Re: Musa "Mekong Giant"

Post by Somerset77 »

flounder wrote:I've joined the mekong owners club icon_thumleft
It's the one from Simon in the half price, no postage sale. Apparently it arrived a week or so ago but was part of another order for my nephews father in law. just waiting for my nephew to drop it over......we don't rush things in my family :D

I would have joined the club too, but I was told by Simon that all the Mekong's ordered for this year had died so had to replace it! icon_scratch icon_scratch :evil:
flounder

Post by flounder »

My membership has been withdrawn.
My nephew brought the plant over and it's a sikkimensis red tiger :cry:
I'm not bitterly disappointed, just disappointed. Still, I was going to get a red tiger after losing mine
flounder

Post by flounder »

Right, if someone would pot up a pup, overwinter it then I'll buy it off you next spring. Thanks icon_thumleft
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

Mine now seems to be motoring. If this growth continues I might even get pups. icon_salut icon_salut
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

flounder wrote:Right, if someone would pot up a pup, overwinter it then I'll buy it off you next spring. Thanks icon_thumleft
If I get a pup off mine you can HAVE it. Pls don't hold your breath though ...
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

the rhizome nanas seem much worse for growing over here with out cooler summers, taking much longer to get big enough to pup/produce enough rhizome to come back after winter.

noticed something sticking up out of the plants yesterday and realised it was the Mekong giant, looks like it has started to put on a bit of growth just this past week.
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

If this requires more heat than other nanas, keeping this inside the greenhouse during this heatwave seems to be the trigger it needed. I've not long repotted it despite still having an inadequate root system and now the p-stem is rigid in the pot and roots have already come through the bottom of the pot.

This is now the same size as M. sikkimensis 'Bengal Tiger' which last week was double the size of its neighbour. Will it be twice the tiger next week?
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

I needed some height in the middle of the back border so I went and got another one..about 7ft tall and stuck it in there. both mine are doing as well as ever but I think everyone is right, they require alot of heat. I think there cold hardiness is unmatched but it takes some hot sun to trigger them. I still have no pups but one I gave away last fall has sent out a pup about 2 ft from the mother plant.
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

over here I think they need to be much more established than a basjoo to have the same level of hardiness,

basjoo can comeback from the tiniest bit of corm but Mekong doesn't seem to comeback from the same corm so if it hasn't developed a rhizome system it will just die
pdid

Post by pdid »

I've put mine back outside but it's staying in its pot and has continued to grow. I now have two pups too icon_cheers
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

pics!
pdid

Post by pdid »

A few quick phone pics
Attachments
PicsArt_1375165710908.jpg
PicsArt_1375165659520.jpg
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

have you had a look in the pot under the surface to see what is gong on down there?

I was under the impression they didn't pup so close to the main pstem.
pdid

Post by pdid »

Mr List wrote:have you had a look in the pot under the surface to see what is gong on down there?

I was under the impression they didn't pup so close to the main pstem.
I haven't but I would think they just got to the edge of the pot and went up. Will look later.
pdid

Post by pdid »

Soil excavated. I'm wondering if it sustained some damage over winter which has caused this but it's motoring away now icon_scratch

The bigger of the two pups comes from deeper down the rhizome. When I dug it up I also potted it deeper than when it was in the ground.
Attachments
image.jpg