Musa "Mekong Giant"

SteveW

Re: Musa "Mekong Giant"

Post by SteveW »

They're a very nice size already considering theyre plugs.
I'll stick a pic on FB as i can't upload to here on my phone :(
I wouldn't wait around too long before ordering them though just in case Simon gets a rush on them. After all that's what happened last summer when dave posted about the Mayan masks :lol:
Palmer

Post by Palmer »

mushtaq86 wrote:I'm going to wait and see what results you guys get before i order mine,last thing we all need is to find out its just a basjoo with another name for a marketing gimmick :roll:

Hi Mush, one thing is for sure this is not just another marketing gimmick for a basjoo, the Mekong giant was first introduced by Brian of Brains Botanicals in the US and then TC’d and I’m sure I read somewhere that Brian has the royalties on it.
It is in fact a Musa Itinerans but it hasn’t been established if it’s the variant xishuangbannaensis although it is thought to be that.
And all credit to Simon at Amulree for been the first to introduce the Mekong giant for sale in Europe, and at a modest price too! It would be very expensive to order one from the US with a phyto…
Regarding its hardiness some promising claims have been made in the US but let’s not forget that growing conditions in the US are very different to that of the UK, to give this nana its best chance of survival I wouldn’t plant one out this year, the Mekong giant you will receive is from TC and in its first year so will need growing on until next year before experimenting with, even basjoo struggles to survive planted out in its first year.

Tony
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

well i hope to get one to replace my sikkimensis so i will be growing in in the ground if he still has them when i get funds.

i guess if mine survives you will all know it is a hrady butter
gabriel

Post by gabriel »

Urban Jungle will have stock of Mekong Giant as well. That's what their blog states anyways....
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

link?
gabriel

Post by gabriel »

It was written on their facebook page this morning,
Not too good with link posting :oops:
dave2166

Post by dave2166 »

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

This is what Brian said on Facebook

Brian Williams
Here is a picture of my Musa MeKong Giant trunk. This plant is growing in a large batch about 8 years old.
23 October 2011 at 14:57 near Louisville, KY

Ty Seely What do you mean by batch? Does this variety take a long time to grow?
23 October 2011 at 17:22 · Like
Brian Williams The plants are fast to grow but it does not grow in a tight clump like Musa Basjoo it is more open and forms a large batch patch of bananas I believe their are 30 or so trunks in a 15 foot circle.
23 October 2011 at 19:24 · Like
Ty Seely Wow that's cool! Are they very hardy?
23 October 2011 at 21:05 · Like
Brian Williams Hardy here in zone 6 for 8 years and counting. I treat it just like basjoo
23 October 2011 at 22:48 · Like
Ty Seely Ok. I have some basjoos in my yard and I have been wanting a mekong giant. I really want a banana plant in my backyard that is taller than my two story house. When people come over I want it to be a land mark. "Just find the giant banana plant and you know you're there!"
24 October 2011 at 00:03 · Like
Write a comment...
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Mr List »

i wish more details were easier to come by with these new plants.

i wonder if the more open habit could cause havoc underground with my other plants.

i want a different tall hardy nana to basjoo, so it is this or try sikkimensis again :roll:
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

I would add that Brian allows his basjoo to be frosted to ground level, not 20 foot high hay stacks. The summer heat there makes them grow very, very fast. :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Vagetarian »

gabriel wrote:Urban Jungle will have stock of Mekong Giant as well. That's what their blog states anyways....
I'm going to have to go and buy one tomorrow now, assuming I travel that way.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

How much are they going to sell for please? Wouldn't mind trying one myself.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
Vagetarian

Post by Vagetarian »

I'm not going this weekend now but if we don't have a price by next weekend, I'll let you know. :wink:
brendan

Post by brendan »

Vagetarian wrote:
gabriel wrote:Urban Jungle will have stock of Mekong Giant as well. That's what their blog states anyways....
I'm going to have to go and buy one tomorrow now, assuming I travel that way.
I went to urbanjungle today as i was working near there they have about 30 small plug plants on a heated mat not quite ready for sale yet but was told they should be ready in a few weeks.They didn't have a price yet but jamie said around £12 i think they are going to see how they do in the next few weeks.
Vagetarian

Post by Vagetarian »

Thanks for the heads up brendan. I didn't go in the end but I was going to go today. :(