Musa "Mekong Giant"

brendan

Re: Musa "Mekong Giant"

Post by brendan »

Heres my two that have been potted in the garden for weeks and starting to grow well now.Sorry about the poor pictures took on my phone.
Attachments
mekong july 076.JPG
mekong july 083.JPG
mekong july 077.JPG
mekong july 078.JPG
mekong july 079.JPG
mekong july 081.JPG
mekong july 082.JPG
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

seems a good idea to keep them potted until they are producing pups imho.
gives you a night clump effect icon_thumleft

glad some people are having some luck with this nana icon_thumleft
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

The pot is extremely heavy on mine, so I think the compost is too moisture retentive. Think I'm going to check out what going on under the surface :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Alexander »

Maybe you need to bake it on a sunny wall! The hottest spot in the garden. Well withy the current extreme hot weather it should be in its comfortzone anyway.

Alexander
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Alexander wrote:Maybe you need to bake it on a sunny wall! The hottest spot in the garden. Well withy the current extreme hot weather it should be in its comfortzone anyway.

Alexander
It's in the open fronted Tropical Island/Lunar Module. Temps to 38C by day, 19 to 23C by night. Full sun from 3pm to 6pm.

It is picking up slowly and first leaf with red splashes on it opened over the last few days, but certainly the slowest banana I have. :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by brendan »

Dave Brown wrote:The pot is extremely heavy on mine, so I think the compost is too moisture retentive. Think I'm going to check out what going on under the surface :wink:
Did you have a look what was going on down below Dave ? My two are potted in mp compost and manure and during the hot spells have sat in a tray of water all day and they have kept growing.Potted up twice this year already and they need potting again so for me they get lots and lots of water.They get sun up until about 2pm
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

Dave Brown wrote:
Alexander wrote:Maybe you need to bake it on a sunny wall! The hottest spot in the garden. Well withy the current extreme hot weather it should be in its comfortzone anyway.

Alexander
It's in the open fronted Tropical Island/Lunar Module. Temps to 38C by day, 19 to 23C by night. Full sun from 3pm to 6pm.

It is picking up slowly and first leaf with red splashes on it opened over the last few days, but certainly the slowest banana I have. :wink:
So you could say that Musa Mekong Giant is not really an option as a gardenplant? If its not growing well under our usseal moderate summer condition then its not really a plant to bodder with. But if it has the same coldhardiness and growing vigor as a Musa basjoo then its worth getting one. And when it gets much bigger then certainly it would be nice to try it here.

Alexander
pdid

Post by pdid »

Mekong forest :lol:
mkong.jpg
I may have a few spare if it carries on!
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

As it's coming to the end of the growing season I wonder how everyone's MG nanas have been doing.

After one year's almost zero growth and the awful Spring I was seriously worried for mine
Jul 13 Plants & Maria 069.JPG
The Mekong midget at the bottom left hand corner was still in the greenhouse early on in the summer along with other suffering nanas trying to recover. However, by the end of the hot July it had started to motor, so it was potted on and now seems to have the intention of living up to its real name.
Sept 2013 062.JPG
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

I would like grow this plant, it think I would keep it potted and move it in the winter.
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

it definitely needs to be grown in a pot until it has many pups.

I had a double stemmer that was about 4-5 foot and I decided to dig one up as I am pretty sure it wont make it through winter.

they basically don't exist underground, there is no corm and hardly any roots. until the rhizome system is established it is basically a couple of leaves you are trying to make survive a winter.

I was digging in the area of the one I have left out in the garden and it has only just started to put out runners so I doubt that will make it through the winter but I will mulch and pray since I have two in back up.

so far not very impressed with the Mekong giant, a much taller/leggier and more slender banana than musa basjoo without any real stand out aesthetic differences
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Took a pic of mine yesterday as not at all impressed with it's growth. For a 2 year old Banana this is not good. Maybe it is like Sabal palms, hardy but need a sub-tropical summer to do well. All the lower leaves collapsed in the wind, where as other bananas were a bit shredded.
Attachments
2013-10-12 12-26-30 Mekong Giant.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Mr List »

mine doesn't seem to be too bad speed wise, not great but not totally useless.
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

So the conclussion is that it would be nice under glass but outside its rubbish.

So bassically until now only Musa basjoo is really a good one for outside, and then M. sikkimensis at a very favorable warm spot.

To bad.

Alexander
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Alexander wrote:So the conclussion is that it would be nice under glass but outside its rubbish.

So bassically until now only Musa basjoo is really a good one for outside, and then M. sikkimensis at a very favorable warm spot.

To bad.

Alexander

That assessment is a bit negative don't you think? M sikkimensis grows at least as fast, if not quicker than basjoo even up at my latitude. Also Thai Black grows well for me. I'm sure there are loads of others as I'm not a big banana grower? Saying that if you mean hardiness then agree basjoo seems like the only hardy one.