Musa "Mekong Giant"

GREVILLE

Re: Musa "Mekong Giant"

Post by GREVILLE »

Mine finally arrived from Amulree last week. About a foot tall, it looks healthy enough and in the time I've had it a roller has almost opened. It's staying in the (very warm) greenhouse for now. Outside from Mid-July in the warmest and most sheltered spot I can give it.
pdid

Post by pdid »

Mine this morning:

Untitled by pdmann80, on Flickr
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

all coming along nicely.

if i am lucky mine will have been beavering away underground and have a lovely massive root system ready to rocket upwards
pdid

Post by pdid »

Mr List wrote:all coming along nicely.

if i am lucky mine will have been beavering away underground and have a lovely massive root system ready to rocket upwards
Hopefully! Co-incidently I repotted mine and took all the old compost away from the root system then re-potted to 50-50 perlite multipurpose. It was solid in the pot after only a few weeks and roots are now poking through the bottom!
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

i might try and get hold of another to keep for next year.

the other one from amulree that was smashed up started growing back, there are roots out of the bottom of the pot but the roller went brown and crispy and inside looks a bit white fluffy/mouldy.

would it just put out a new roller eventually if it was ok?

it has two leaves and one keeps curling up and going flat which seems to show it is still alive.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

pdid wrote:took all the old compost away from the root system then re-potted to 50-50 perlite multipurpose. It was solid in the pot after only a few weeks and roots are now poking through the bottom!
I do that for Alocasia, but I don't think it necessary for a banana, and massive root disturbance may set it back for a while. Mine seems quite happy in the compost it was supplied in. :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by pdid »

Dave Brown wrote:
pdid wrote:took all the old compost away from the root system then re-potted to 50-50 perlite multipurpose. It was solid in the pot after only a few weeks and roots are now poking through the bottom!
I do that for Alocasia, but I don't think it necessary for a banana, and massive root disturbance may set it back for a while. Mine seems quite happy in the compost it was supplied in. :wink:
I wouldn't normally bother only the compost it was in was full of gnats, a common theme with this supplier. It has settled down fine and filled its new pot in no time at all.
pdid

Post by pdid »

A few last pics of mine before it goes in the ground. It`s red colouring in the stem and blushing on the leaves has intensified since going outside.
mekong1.jpg
mekong2.jpg
mekong4.jpg
mekong5.jpg
mekong6.jpg
*Edit- Noticed too that it has grown a leaf in the week since being outside so is growing just as fast as it was indoors icon_cheers
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

looks more like a sikkimensis now that a basjoo icon_thumleft icon_thumleft icon_thumleft icon_thumleft

mine is still tiny but growing
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

After a week the roller opened and another appeared, Encouraging.
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

here is mine today

Palmer

Post by Palmer »

My Mekong’s are both doing well in the poly I’m hoping to get them to around 6ft before winter, then one will go in the loft and the other in my porch.
Next year I will plant one of them out to test its hardiness!

Tony
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

i am really liking how they look as they get bigger icon_thumleft

now i have a spare from urban jungle and the smashed up one from amulree has started coming back from the dead i am not too worried about testing my little one out over winter.

it will be a good benchmark for everybody else if it does make it through too icon_thumright
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Mr List wrote: i am not too worried about testing my little one out over winter.

it will be a good benchmark for everybody else if it does make it through too icon_thumright
I wouldn't have thought trying the smallest one was a very good benchmark, as it has it's lack of size weighted up against it. With my Washingtonia, and other plants, I plant out the biggest, keeping the smallest back as insurance. :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Mr List »

the benchmark part is if the little one makes it the bigger ones should