Musa Zebrina - Germinated

musa_monkey

Musa Zebrina - Germinated

Post by musa_monkey »

Got a nice surprise this evening after a quick inspection of a few seed bags i found this Musa Zebrina had germinated. Interestingly not in my prop. Its been in the bag sitting on a 20w reptile heat mat for a couple of months at a constant 25c ish.

mushtaq86

Re: Musa Zebrina - Germinated

Post by mushtaq86 »

well done Alan icon_thumright
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

na....its a bean sprout left over from your chinky...... :lol:

Nice one.......... icon_thumright
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
Palmer

Post by Palmer »

Nice one Alan icon_thumright do you have any other varieties of nana seeds in the prop at the mo.
I bought some of those basjoo seeds from that German seller on ebay, been in the prop for 4 weeks now but nothing showing yet, and i've got some Ensete ventricosum in soak.

Thinking of buying some more nana seeds around Christmas time but cant make my mind up what to try yet.

Tony
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Well done icon_thumright

Do you use sand in your bags? I've always used coarse moss peat, but not had good results.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by musa_monkey »

Palmer wrote:Nice one Alan icon_thumright do you have any other varieties of nana seeds in the prop at the mo.
I bought some of those Musa basjoo seeds from that German seller on ebay, been in the prop for 4 weeks now but nothing showing yet, and i've got some Ensete ventricosum in soak.

Thinking of buying some more nana seeds around Christmas time but cant make my mind up what to try yet.

Tony
Tony, Just some Sikki and H.Hybrid (allegedly obviously :lol: ) at the minute.
and the e.giant of course. I will probably get some more soon, i like this bag method it seems to work better for me than any other method i have tried so far.
musa_monkey

Post by musa_monkey »

Dave Brown wrote:Well done icon_thumright

Do you use sand in your bags? I've always used coarse moss peat, but not had good results.
Dave,

I have never had any luck with moss peat I only tend to keep it for my carnivorous plants these days.

When i was using the standard MP compost and perlite mix i found i kept "loosing" smaller seeds in the bags so i switched to a simple fifty fifty mix of fine MP (just sieved std MP compost) and sharp sand. This helps me locate the seed for inspection and seems to distribute the water more evenly in the bag. - I just use a simple trigger spray bottle and spray into the bags when i think they look or feel dry.

At the moment they are simply sitting on a reptile heat mat but i will probably get my high temp prop out at christmas time and them put them back in there.
flounder

Post by flounder »

I love seeing nana seeds germinate, I'm like a kid at christmas!
recently read about the perlite/vermiculite mix, kept quite wet with the seeds just sitting on top. Trying this in a tuppaware box at the mo but nothing yet, still early days
well done on the zebrina
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

Set up my M. zebrina and many others exactly a year ago but as yet not a single shoot on sight :(

A stray Ensete Ventricosum germinated after 15 months some years ago. I'll still persevere with my batch as I've been without zebrina for a couple of years now and I miss her terribly :wink: