When to start protecting Musella Lasiocarps

ourarka

When to start protecting Musella Lasiocarps

Post by ourarka »

Sorry for the slight repeat question - should have put it in this forum initially.

It seems that Lasiocarpa can be a bit of a gamble to get through the winter - some people have had good results, some bad. Mine is still quite low so I have devised how to protect .... but with the weather still failry mild (especially down here in the south east) what sort of temperatures should I be getting before I start to protect it (in order to retain height /top growth - not just roots)? Should I do it now, or will it be quite happy with 10-11C during the day and 5-6C (min) during the night ... albeit quite damp and misty?

Also, should we still be hanging around for the first frost before wrapping Musa basjoos? Most people seem to think they will tolerate anything until it turns really cold?
mushtaq86

Re: When to start protecting Musella Lasiocarps

Post by mushtaq86 »

ourarka wrote:Sorry for the slight repeat question - should have put it in this forum initially.

It seems that Lasiocarpa can be a bit of a gamble to get through the winter - some people have had good results, some bad. Mine is still quite low so I have devised how to protect .... but with the weather still failry mild (especially down here in the south east) what sort of temperatures should I be getting before I start to protect it (in order to retain height /top growth - not just roots)? Should I do it now, or will it be quite happy with 10-11C during the day and 5-6C (min) during the night ... albeit quite damp and misty?

Also, should we still be hanging around for the first frost before wrapping Musa basjoos? Most people seem to think they will tolerate anything until it turns really cold?

Hi ourarka

most peoples basjoo got demolished last year with protection,if we have a winter like last two its unlikely lasiocarpa will come through,as its less hardy than basjoo

If we don't have a big freeze your basjoo should come through and so might lasiocarpa with protection of course.You could protect them now thats up to you,as you might not get time when cold snap hits.