Musa sikkimensis hardiness

Kristen

Re: Musa sikkimensis hardiness

Post by Kristen »

Palmer wrote:Have you had any normal green amongst your sikki’s or are they all the dark variegated form?
They are very "normal green" - I was expecting some red, or red-ribbing, but they are, if anything, exceptionally plain-green.

Nice large leaves though [:)]
Palmer

Post by Palmer »

Hi Kristen, it sounds like you may not have M.sikkimensis gigantea from Europalms because I think they all have that dark variegation on them! Could it be you have the “Darjeeling giant”?
Where was your seed from.
kata

Post by kata »

I have my new Musa sikkimensis in the hallway,

Its pushing a new green stem from the main stem it came with.. :lol:
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

Palmer wrote:Hi Kristen, it sounds like you may not have M.sikkimensis gigantea from Europalms because I think they all have that dark variegation on them! Could it be you have the “Darjeeling giant”?
Where was your seed from.
Jungle Seeds

http://www.jungleseeds.co.uk/SeedOrders ... uk/d1.html

Musa sikkimensis / Daj Giant - which, thanks to your translation, I do now indeed read as "Darjeeling giant"
Clive

Post by Clive »

Sorry just catching up on this

The first year I grew Sikkimensis it got throught the winter ok and was amazingly big, but for the last 2 years it was cut down to the ground, coming up strong the next year, even from plants that were only 2-3 yrs old. However it must have only got to 6ft in a year?

I started digging them up to overwinter them the way that I did on Gardeners World last year and it worked fine for the 2 that I did that way, this year I have done it for about 6 so we shall see

Ian I can see your point about the rot, but I think the big difference is that I store them in a covered side passage next to the house, not my greenhouse (putting it in the greenhouse was for the magic of tv). The side passage is relatively open to the elements and ensures a very good flow of air which dries stuff out and certainly last year the leaves I tied to the top were completly dried out, as was the soil by spring. Indeed I almost killed an Echinea I have out there as it was almost dead from drought last week.

Clive