Ensete Glauca

Vagetarian

Re: Ensete Glauca

Post by Vagetarian »

I'm also searching for fresh seeds! I think the only way to guarantee freshness is to pull them out of the fruit yourself. You never know how long they've been sitting on the suppliers shelf, or the suppliers suppliers shelf, and so on. Failing that I guess you should try and buy directly from the counties where the plants should be regularly flowering.

If you assume a germination rate of 10% max then you shouldn't have too many disappointments. Don't buy 5 at a time or you're almost guaranteed to fail!

Check out worldwide sellers on eBay. There are Thai sellers with 100 Ensete seeds! I have emailed a seller in Belize who currently has 3 species in packs of up to 1000 seeds! You might be interested in Musa Zebrina (very tender but beautifully coloured leaves) and Musa Velutina (semi hardy, self peeling pink bananas) but probably not Musa Balbisiana.

I'm always looking for a good deal on some fresh and/or 'different' nana seeds so please let me know if you find anything!
Vagetarian

Post by Vagetarian »

OK, I've sold myself on some banana seeds from this Belizean eBay seller. I'm just deciding whether or not I should also get some palm and Heliconia seeds. (I think the answer is that I definitely should NOT... but I'm sure I will anyway) :lol:

I'm going to order 100 each of Musa Zebrina and Musa Velutina/Dasycarpa. I am offering 50 of either for around about cost price + postage to you. It's going to cost me £16 for the 200 seeds so £4 per 50. With postage, £5 should be great for 50 or £9 for 100 I guess. I also don't mind distributing them in 25's.

If any registered member is interested PM me (if you're interested Chris and you can't PM just reply here)
chrissmith44x

Post by chrissmith44x »

COunt me in!

but i cant send PM's yet :( account wont allow it

can you PM me your email?

id like to try both

So your growing these indoors, then outside during summer, then back in for winter!?
Vagetarian

Post by Vagetarian »

Ah, I think that after you hit 10 posts you have to click some button somewhere to request PM privileges. Can't quite remember now :oops: Will send you a PM

All my bananas are indoors right now in my conservatory.

Zebrina is very tender and probably needs overwintering indoors. Next winter they will be left to the elements because I won't have a suitable space for them. I only really want them for summer bedding anyway. I think they look excellent as smallish plants.

Velutina (now called Dasycarpa) comes into the category of bananas that I want to flower and fruit so I will overwinter it some how. It is reportedly pretty hardy (doubt it would survive a whole winter here though) so I might just stick it in the shed next winter!

Be aware that when they germinate (assuming they do!) they will need plenty of light and warmth. I lost 4/5 of those pre germinated seeds a couple of weeks ago, (probably) because I left them in the then unheated conservatory for a week. I just about saved the 5th by putting it under an energy saving lamp.
Vagetarian

Post by Vagetarian »

Chris is having all the nana seeds so the offer is closed, unless anyone wants any non-hardy non-fan-palm seeds? :lol: