Ravenala madagascariensis

stevieboy1

Re: Ravenala madagascariensis

Post by stevieboy1 »

flounder wrote:Steve, I found they germinated at 36c+. I soaked for a couple of days in warm water to remove as much of the blue stuff as I could.
I can tell you they don't like temperatures between 10-15c or being kept on the dry side. Given quite a few away and I'm left with one and thats looking ropey! Seems to me they have to have a minimum winter temp of 19c, be kept moist and as much light as possible.
After several attempts to get these to sprout, plus the euphoria felt with my success, I now feel very disappointed with the care these things need in their early years. I don't think I'll be going out of my way to try them again
Thanks flounder, icon_salut
The seeds are a gift so wont be a loss but yet another thing to try along with everything else piling up around me lol. :lol:

I will try as you said and see what happens. icon_thumleft
Sound like if i do get any to grow its going to have to go in a warm room. plenty of water mabe a little misting for humidity.
Well worth a go. icon_thumleft

regards
Steve icon_thumleft
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

[quote="stevieboy1"]How slow growing are yours DiCasS?

10 months since germination Steve, 4 leaves and about 4 or 5 inches tall, in old money I think that's roughly 10cm ish.

Di
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.
stevieboy1

Post by stevieboy1 »

hopfully they will pic up growing speed when the wamer weather finally returns. icon_sunny
I will atempt to germinate the seeds when they arrive. At the mo ive got 4 difrent lots of banana is soak and some other bits they will all be baged up soon in baggies (old chinese tubs for me lol) Then I will ahve the space to soak the new seed when they get here. icon_thumleft
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

How are folk getting on?

I got about a dozen to germinate, and they have between 2 and 4 leaves. However, they now look really unhappy - leaves all dried up. Dunno if they had too much cold (in greenhouse) before they came into the house, or not enough humidity since they came into the house (now in spare bedroom). Suggestions welcome for winter care pls :)
otorongo

Post by otorongo »

Most people grow them outside year round :) I took some pics in November in Buzios and Rio Bonito, will post them after work.
stevieboy1

Post by stevieboy1 »

none of mine have germinated :-( tried a couple of lots but not one there still in the tubs been there since the 8th of september with no movement so im doubtfull that anything will grow. The seeds were from a good reliable sorce that ive never had trouble with befor.

I will try again with more seeds mabe next year when the weather gets warmer again. Im sure i will get one to grow at some point. icon_thumleft

Regards
Steve icon_thumleft
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

Congrats on your germination Kristen icon_thumleft I've still got my two and have now bought them into my heated conservatory. Checked the night-time temp the other day and it was 11 degrees when heating had been off for a while.

When I grew them previously, I used to bring them into the conservatory once temperatures outside became cooler, and they were fine over Winter. Just watered occasionally when the compost looked to be drying out.

Sorry, I can't help with the dried up leaves, but have let mine dry out more than they should have and noticed the leaves have started to curl slightly.

Di
Supporter of the N.A.S.
flounder

Post by flounder »

Out of all mine that germinated, I have got none left :cry:
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

DiCasS wrote:Sorry, I can't help with the dried up leaves, but have let mine dry out more than they should have and noticed the leaves have started to curl slightly.
That's helpful to know, thanks. There is hope for mine therefore :)
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

My previous one was left out too late in the season, it went cold, I brought it inside (greenhouse on that occasion if I remember correctly) and unfortunately it never recovered. Now I'd rather bring them in a bit too early rather than take a chance and they be hit by a sudden drop in temperature in Autumn.

Di
Supporter of the N.A.S.
cichlidfish

Post by cichlidfish »

DiCasS wrote:Congrats on your germination Kristen icon_thumleft I've still got my two and have now bought them into my heated conservatory. Checked the night-time temp the other day and it was 11 degrees when heating had been off for a while.

When I grew them previously, I used to bring them into the conservatory once temperatures outside became cooler, and they were fine over Winter. Just watered occasionally when the compost looked to be drying out.

Sorry, I can't help with the dried up leaves, but have let mine dry out more than they should have and noticed the leaves have started to curl slightly.

Di
How do they get on outside in summer? Do they grow, and what temp does your heated conservatory run at usually?
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

I think I have lost all mine due to neglect, or incorrect treatment, during Autumn.