Post by call »

grow to be like this :x
call wrote:Image
wow :shock:
i saw a really good one at wisley
Kristen

Re: Ravenala madagascariensis

Post by Kristen »

How do they get on if you grow them in a pot and turn it a bit every day, can you grow a spiral one? !!
khaskings

Post by khaskings »

In the last fortnight I've had 6 of these seeds germinate. They've been in a heated prop with daytime temps of around 30c/evening temps around 20c for the last 4 months.

Mike.
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

Good news Mike, 6 is great icon_flower Eeeerm, the thing is I'm back to square one again, I gave the tub a good spraying, thinking the perlite had dried out (it probably hadn't) and they died :( Was I annoyed with myself, but luckily have some spare seeds which I'm now trying again. Fingers crossed this time.

Another two have come up from the new lot sowed, didn't take so long this time.

Di
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.
flounder

Post by flounder »

Just thought I'd bump this.
Tried the super heat method,ie let them cook in the conservatory in lidded tubs,(36c+)
Total of 86 germinated. Lost a few to drying out(my own fault) passed a few to family, have 30 odd left. Admittedly theres still an unlidded pot with a mass of tangled roots in just perlite I haven't got round to potting up yet. Growth has been steady but not spectacular in the cooler conditions, but I've kept the pot size on the small side because of lack of room.
All I've got to do now, is keep them alive over the coming winter and see how they react to the lower light levels.
All in all, I'm well chuffed with the results. Cheers Sean icon_thumleft
Troppoz

Post by Troppoz »

Youre most welcome Gary icon_thumright To be honest iy gives me a secret thrill to know that seed Ive collected isgrowing well over there :DD

Looks like youve had great results with these ones, just what are your plans for 30 ravenalas?? :shock:

Any pics to share?
flounder

Post by flounder »

Troppoz wrote:just what are your plans for 30 ravenalas??
Lets see how many are left after this winter first :?
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

well that gives me a bit of hope. Ive had 10 seeds in the prop for a month or so now and still nothing. I guess I'll leave them be and hope they come up. I was told these don't need light to germ. is that true or do I need to get a bit more light in there in the daytime?
flounder

Post by flounder »

More heat Mike
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

more heat it is then.
stevieboy1

Post by stevieboy1 »

Just been reading though this post. im getting some of these seeds in the post soon and just wanted to know how you started them? Do you soak these seeds for a few days? Then pop them in some moist perlite sealed in a tub in a warm place like my airing cubord at around 30?? icon_scratch

Would be nice to try and get one going.

regards
Steve icon_thumleft
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

call wrote:i saw a really good one at wisley
Here's the photo I took of the one at Wisley at the New Year. Apparently they had to move it a few months after planting because it grew so quickly!

DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

Just seen this 'bump'

You did well Flounder, I ended up with two :lol: Though I've still got some of the seeds left ...... I wonder if they will germinate now they're well over 12 months old.

These big ones, there's just something about them that makes you stop and stare icon_thumleft Went on holiday and there were two placed each side of the driveway at the gateway of the resort, huge they were, imposing, and when walking past, always had to turn round to have another look. icon_cheers I wish I had the problem of them being too big and having to be moved Kristen, the rate mine are growing, I won't have to worry for another few years at least :lol:

Di
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.
stevieboy1

Post by stevieboy1 »

How slow growing are yours DiCasS? Curious to know there groth rath here in our oh so tropical weatherd uk LOL icon_sunny

so can anyone tell me the best method of germinating these seeds? whats worked for you all or not? icon_salut

That photo is lovely they do have such an interesting look they way they grow. icon_thumleft

Regards
Steve icon_thumleft
flounder

Post by flounder »

Steve, I found they germinated at 36c+. I soaked for a couple of days in warm water to remove as much of the blue stuff as I could.
I can tell you they don't like temperatures between 10-15c or being kept on the dry side. Given quite a few away and I'm left with one and thats looking ropey! Seems to me they have to have a minimum winter temp of 19c, be kept moist and as much light as possible.
After several attempts to get these to sprout, plus the euphoria felt with my success, I now feel very disappointed with the care these things need in their early years. I don't think I'll be going out of my way to try them again