Ensete and Musa seedlings - is an SES 29Watt bulb sufficient

chrissmith44x

Ensete and Musa seedlings - is an SES 29Watt bulb sufficient

Post by chrissmith44x »

Hello there,

popped out to get lamp and bulb for seedlings, couldnt find cfl bulbs in tescos so i grabbed an SES 29watt bulb

its a yellowish colour.

i'll bet its useless right?

the seedlings have doubled in size in 48 hours with 12 hour light cycles

but this could just be due to the enegery in the seed?

your thoughts?
chrissmith44x

Re: Ensete and Musa seedlings - is an SES 29Watt bulb suffic

Post by chrissmith44x »

It certainly keeps the plant stoasty!
musabasjoos

Post by musabasjoos »

Hi Chris, i use one of these Ebay Item: 120658204296 for mine. It give the plants the right mix of light to keep them happy.

Are you just using a normal domestic light bulb?
chrissmith44x

Post by chrissmith44x »

yep a standard bulb :)
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

Get the bulb as close the the leaves as you can, without burning them. If its a fluorescent tube type 1" or 2" should be fine (but you'll need to keep moving it as they grow). Hold the back of your hand to it at a distance that is slightly-warm to feel but not hot, and that's the distance your plants will be happy with.

Light "power" decreases with distance based on the inverse-square rule, so double the distance and you will only get 1/4 of the light "power".

I'd put a reflector around the plants too, so any stray light gets reflected back. Tinfoil is not actually that good a reflector, polystyrene sheets is probably the best that you have lying around, mylar would be about the best you can get (affordable!)
khaskings

Post by khaskings »

A word of caution about buying Edison Screw fit bulbs - we had difficulty buying lamp holders (on a budget) when the Bayonet Cap version of the bulbs were the same price and those fittings are available all over the place.
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

khaskings wrote:A word of caution about buying Edison Screw fit bulbs - we had difficulty buying lamp holders (on a budget) when the Bayonet Cap version of the bulbs were the same price and those fittings are available all over the place.
I found the same as diy stores stopped selling them a year ago. Class olsen sell them for 2 quid each.