Incubator as a Propagator?

Shamone10

Incubator as a Propagator?

Post by Shamone10 »

I've got a few ensete, canna and mimosa pudica seeds. Obviously i'd like to germinate them but think I may have some trouble getting the high temperatures for the ensete v seeds.

I have no propagator but I do have a few incubators. Am I right in thinking I could get the seeds going in an incubator? Its dark and has a constant fan running in it thats why I was thinking just for germination for the temperatures attained.

Will 37-38 degrees C be too high? They have no other settings :( .

And to prevent the seeds drying out in a little compost I was thinking of putting each in an enclosed freezer bag within the incubator?

What do you think? Thanks
Shamone10

Re: Incubator as a Propagator?

Post by Shamone10 »

Oh also is their any harm in soaking and trying to start the ensete ventricosum seeds now and they sit indoors for a few weeks before getting any real heat/light?

Will them being damp for a few weeks prior to heat being properly applied increase their germination when subjected to it or will it be more likely to induce rot?
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Hi Shamone,

The incubator as a propagator will probably be ok for Ensete, but will be a bit too warm for most other things. Does it have ventilation? as that might keep it a couple of degrees cooler.

I used a timer with 15 minute switching to keep things slightly cooler. 15 min on 15 min off, worked with my uncontrolled propagator reducing soil temps form around 40C to 25C.

I would not soak until you are ready to heat, as cold, wet will probably not do any good. I put the seed into 50C water and let it cool to prop temp,soaking for 2 or 3 days. Many people use other methods but that is the one I prefer. The hot water heats the seed expelling air and as it cools it draws water inside the shell. :D
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Shamone10 »

Ah thanks very much Dave, i'll hold off the soaking etc for a couple of weeks then. Thanks for the soaking info too, alot of people say there's a precise art to quick germination with 36-48 hours in 30 degree water etc etc but it does seem like there are quite large parameters within which there is little change to the germination rate and speed.