Show us your maurelii's

shanks

Re: Show us your maurelii's

Post by shanks »

heres mine just received about 2foot high not including pot, first try with these
kata

Post by kata »

Struggling to get Images to load for some reason,

Yep, will load text but not my Images... :? as to why.
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

This is my two at present they are growing slowly but i do feel that the 3rd year maurelli on the right is going to romp away once it gets planted. :)
Attachments
My two Ensete Maurelli's.jpg
daftbanana

Post by daftbanana »

Here's my 3 year old still sitting bare rooted in the greenhouse but I give it an occasional watering in the top and it's been in active growth for over a month now.
Attachments
IMG083.jpg
IMG083.jpg (86.99 KiB) Viewed 1931 times
dino

Post by dino »

All we need now is some sun.
Shamone10

Post by Shamone10 »

Goddam! some of those were so big they don't look real. It also looks like there can be a big variation in growth rates too, some look pretty average after 3 years and Dave's... well it doesn't look like one man could move it lol

Does anyone know if they ever sell ensete plants at homebase/b&q etc? if so do you know what month they tend to get them in? thanks

Been looking online and a tiny plug maurelli 9cm tall is a tenner lol, I wanna grow a jungle!
fieldfest

Post by fieldfest »

Shamone10 wrote:Goddam! some of those were so big they don't look real. It also looks like there can be a big variation in growth rates too, some look pretty average after 3 years and Dave's... well it doesn't look like one man could move it lol

Does anyone know if they ever sell ensete plants at homebase/b&q etc? if so do you know what month they tend to get them in? thanks

Been looking online and a tiny plug maurelli 9cm tall is a tenner lol, I wanna grow a jungle!
i think it depends how much you feed them, i got a first year plant to a fat 6ft last summer with lots of watering and chicken poo. end of may they should start appearing in GC's and B&Q, normally £5-6 in GC or £10 in B&Q for a stretched one

jan
jan.jpg
oct
oct.jpg
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

That is very impressive. I do love this plant.
Shamone10

Post by Shamone10 »

Ah thanks very much field icon_salut

Yes it looks like you must've been out there feeding it everyday to get to that size :lol:
nige pook

Post by nige pook »

Judging by the photos,it does seem that they do much better and grow to bigger proportions when planted out in the ground. I had 3 plants all due to start their third growing season,one rotted on one side even though it was producing good white roots on the other side. I gave up in the end trying to cut out the rot as it had entered the central roller area of the plant. :( The remaining ones are doing fine together with 2 starting their second years. All mine are grown in big pots with lashings of water,chick pellets and liquid feeds and they are not nearly as big as Dave's. I assume it WAS planted out for the summer and not restricted to a pot? Nige
Shamone10

Post by Shamone10 »

Your maurelli seems very red field, here's a couple of pics of the ones at my college last year in october and they seem alot greener... at least I think they're maurelli lol.

Can the variations in sunlight really have such a difference? These were in full sun all last year, full wind too some were completely shredded...
Attachments
ensete maurelli 11 2.jpg
ensete maurelli 11.jpg
Ste

Post by Ste »

My maurelii's which I stored in the loft over winter have been doing great since I got them down in February, potted them up and left either side of the fire. They grew 5 big leaves each and since planting out 4 or 5 weeks ago they have just gone downhill. All the leaves have died and the new rollers have'nt moved. I may have killed them because I planted them out during that warm spell we had but a few night's later, I had a couple of nights of frost. Even my new montbeliardii which was doing well inside has stopped growing and leaves have died since I planted that out a couple of weeks ago. I reckon i've been too impatient and gone for it too early :x
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Mine went the same way Ste but I think it was the wind snapping the roots rather than the cold.

I'm going to leave them for another couple of weeks then cut them off about 6" above soil level and see how they go from there.

If they snuff it I'll just get another couple.
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

Did you (both) harden them off, or just plant them out "cold turkey" ?

I'm just curious as to whether hardening them off might have helped [them survive the subsequent colder temperatures]

There's a surprisingly long article in the current month's RHS magazine "The Garden" on hardening off. Its not talking about exotics of course (its on about bedding plants etc.), but it does refer to the difference in "effort" required for Hardy plants that have been over wintered under cover, and tender / half-hardy plants.

Anyways, the article suggests considerably more faff that I go to. Cover everything with fleece for the first few days that they are out (i.e. during the day, even if warm) [which may well help with protection from strong sunlight as well as drying winds etc], and then once they are out for the night fleecing them [even if night is warm]. Their whole proposed process takes about 3 weeks.

I do harden my plants off, but not with that amount of attention to detail.
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

I didn't harden mine off at all Kristen but I didn't do it last year either and they were fine.

I'm 99% certain that the reason the leaves dried out was because the plants had been blown almost horizontal by that one windy day and that left them without a root system to take up enough water to support the whole plant.

Time will tell because if it was just down to cold then I doubt they'll recover at all.

That's an interesting concept though regarding fleecing to help harden off. I think I might stick a fleece bag over my Roebelinii tomorrow just in case.

;)