Show us your maurelii's

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Re: Show us your maurelii's

Post by Dave Brown »

This is the big one stored dry, bare rooted, in the conservatory. Potted up 2 weeks ago icon_thumright
2012-03-17-21-26-46 Big Ensete Maurelii.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Andy P »

Looking good Dave. icon_thumleft It`s a Monster isn`t it. :lol: I remember watching the Video of you digging it up and lugging it across the garden. How many years have you had it?
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Andy P wrote: How many years have you had it?
this is the start of the 3rd (monster) year :lol:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Andy P »

Well i`ve got mine through it`s first Winter. icon_cheers It`s going in the ground as soon as the frost risk is gone. Hopefully a few more years and mine will be credited Monster status too. I don`t relish the thought of digging it up and lugging it around every year but it certainly looks worth the while. Will there ever come a point where it`s just too big to lift though???? icon_scratch
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Andy P wrote: Will there ever come a point where it`s just too big to lift though???? icon_scratch
My 'Montbeliardii' was a 2 person lift last autumn, but is not as bad in spring as it has lost 50% of it's weight through over winter water loss.

Ensete ventricosum is an altogether bigger plant, growing to 12m (40ft) and at that size will not be liftable without many hands or lifting equipment. Victorian Manor owners did it by using all their estate staff, as described in the Myles Challace book on exotic gardening.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

Dave.....does that light help much ???? I am after a couple to help give extra light in the garage for winter storage.
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
jacko

Post by jacko »

mines been sitting in the kitchen window all winter looking good and now producing new leaves.
Attachments
DSCF7122.JPG
ourarka

Post by ourarka »

I just feel inadequate ..... will mine ever get there?

Also, how come some of you seem to 'soak' your Maurelliis ... .and some recommend a teacup of water a week?
Attachments
DSCN1958.JPG
paulrm71

Post by paulrm71 »

Dont lose heart Ouraka, mine is very similar to yours.....I give half a cup of warm water once or twice a week to the bottom, and I have got a single roller looking like yours!!! I'll keep persevering and hope it will pull through.
fieldfest

Post by fieldfest »

ourarka wrote:I just feel inadequate ..... will mine ever get there?

Also, how come some of you seem to 'soak' your Maurelliis ... .and some recommend a teacup of water a week?
water it more once its started growing as until then it wont have any roots to soak up the water. daves little one was left in a pot so has roots already unlike dry stored ones where most people cut them all off
pdid

Post by pdid »

Mine looked a little bit like yours, you may need to slice through the dry part of the leaf so that the new growth can unfurl or the plant could end up strangling itself. Just remove the dead bits from the growing tip.
ourarka

Post by ourarka »

Yes, I have now chopped a lot of that brown finger off as I couldn't see any way that a roller could unfurl. Fingers crossed.
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

If you can keep it warm day and night and have it potted in a free draining perlite/Mp mix then you can give it a good watering. If kept in plain MP and it cools off a lot at night (eg if in an unheated greenhouse or cold room then water very sparingly until active growth commences. IMO
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

I think there is a lot of "doing what I'm told" rather than understanding what is required and "doing the right thing"

If it has been left with no roots overwinter, then it needs potting when conditions warm up and humidity rises. Left in dry heat indoors, it may just remain dormant. The humidity rises in my conservatory when it warms up and I start watering other plants in mid Feb. The compost should be well drained and should be just damp to start with, then left for about 2 weeks.

Far to many people have their head in a calendar, and I hear do this in x month, do that in y month. Don't go by the calendar, go by the weather :wink:

The damp compost encourages root formation. However, if it is warm, like June, you need to water it like June WHILE IT remains WARM. The heat and water, will cause growth. Watering a teaspoon a week with temps in the high teems/ twenties, may result in no growth.

Mine has a full set of roots as has been getting between 1 and 2 litres of water a week since it has been warm and sunny.

It is now outside against the south facing kitchen wall.
Attachments
2012-03-23-16-24-20 Ensete Maurelii.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

agree.......the weather here though has been great so I have changed things to suit my growing conditions. But advice for me is always welcome.... icon_thumright
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !