Show us your maurelii's

Ste

Re: Show us your maurelii's

Post by Ste »

I never done any hardening off either. My maurelii's went from 3 months either side of the warm fire to going outside and straight in to 2 nights of frost :oops:
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Ste wrote:I never done any hardening off either. My maurelii's went from 3 months either side of the warm fire to going outside and straight in to 2 nights of frost :oops:

I think I may have mentioned that its a good idea to harden them off and not to plant out too early on a few occasions. :)

Anyway I guess we all learn from our own mistakes.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

My theory and what I practise is based on the climateic conditions in high altitude mountains of Ethiopia. The diurnal rage is huge with some days at max 25C with mins down to 1 or 2C in the same day. Also some days are sunny max 30C while the next can be cloudy max 8C.

As a result mine move from the conservatory reaching up to 30C to outside with whatever that brings. With the size and weight I won't be fiddling about getting them in and out. The only thing I do is cover with fleece when air frost is forecast, but the leaves all still got zapped in -3.9C of early April

Fieldfest yours is a beauty, they are rarely that uniform or dark. There is huge variation, but that one is worth propping from.

I can't believe people are binning an Ensete if the top rots, provided the corm is sound, it will pup like crazy if the top is completely removed. :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by ourarka »

What is the best, accepted way of planting an Ensete maurelii out? Mine is all hardened off and figure would be good in the ground whilst I have the prospect of some rainy days and very warm nights coming up?

My question is what fertiliser/manure/etc etc is best to be worked in before planting?

Mine is still quite small at the moment.
pdid

Post by pdid »

I put mine out into a shady spot in the garden a few days ago. I work 12hr shifts starting at 6 in the morning so moving things in and out all the time is fairly impossible. They will stay outside and gradually be introduced to sun (if we get any) before planting out next week or the week after.

Your`s is a lovely specimen FF icon_thumleft
fieldfest

Post by fieldfest »

here it is 24th April this year which is when i planted it out, hopefully it will be ok
ENSETE.JPG
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Spring is later here than in many other parts of the country, including the north. We have had many periods of cloudy easterly weather even when still in a lack of rainfall situation. As a result of cool cloudy weather, many plants requiring sun are very late, and coupled with persistent blustery winds it has not felt like spring at all.

The Ensete have been out for about a month now and been zapped by -3.9C in the back garden. I am starting to see growth, but obviously it is way behind where it was last year, as May was the second month of summer in 2011.
Attachments
2012-05-07-13-31-34 Ensete bed to Pergola.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Mr List »

tell me about it. :roll:
i have a nasty feeling we will get a very short season this year with september bringing early frosts.
andyb

Post by andyb »

Mr List wrote:tell me about it. :roll:
i have a nasty feeling we will get a very short season this year with september bringing early frosts.
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo....................
fieldfest

Post by fieldfest »

nice pergola dave
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Any reason why it's still in its pot Dave?
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Yorkshire Kris wrote:Any reason why it's still in its pot Dave?
Yes.

It has been tucked up under the eaves until last weekend, and the ground is too sticky to start messing around with. I really need dry weather in spring.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by jezza »

So they are safe outside in 5c night temps then? I've got to get my greenhouse emptied on monday and need to plant it.
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

Mine are spending there first night outside tonight a long with the 'Montbeliardii'. Low of 5c is forecasted. They have been in and out for 2 weeks or more now. :-) I was going to leave them out a couple of nights ago but I bottled it. Hopefully I should be able to get them planted out by mid may?
jezza

Post by jezza »

I planted one in the front garden this morning. It's in the most sheltered part so should be fine, plus being 4 feet away from the house wall the heat from it should get it going well 8)