Musa Basjoo - Is this normal?

lee1125

Musa Basjoo - Is this normal?

Post by lee1125 »

So my first banana leaf has started to open but it seems to be tearing like its trapped?

This is the first year that i have overwintered a banana and im worried iv done something wrong? :(
Attachments
img0290by.jpg
img0290by.jpg (27.81 KiB) Viewed 1376 times
img0291mw.jpg
img0291mw.jpg (30.73 KiB) Viewed 1376 times
The Codfather

Re: Musa Basjoo - Is this normal?

Post by The Codfather »

Yeh, its will grow normal......
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
fieldfest

Post by fieldfest »

should be ok, if it doesnt sort itself out after the 2nd leaf you could cut the stem back an inch to clear the jam
mushtaq86

Post by mushtaq86 »

lee1125 wrote:So my first banana leaf has started to open but it seems to be tearing like its trapped?

This is the first year that i have overwintered a banana and im worried iv done something wrong? :(
Hi Lee

Your Basjoo is fine,new growth after winter is always weak with the first few leaves.
blue thunder

Post by blue thunder »

Looks fine, I've always found the first 2 or 3 leaves to come out look a bit iffy
daftbanana

Post by daftbanana »

I had the same thing with a 5 ft Sikki, I put it outside in the mild weather and the full leaf it had put out in the last couple of months under glass ripped very easily in the breeze and then snapped off at the stem altogether - always the case with the first 'weak' winter growth.
lee1125

Post by lee1125 »

Thanks guys - Thats good then, i will see what the next few leaves are like.

lol panic over :ahhh!:
Rabbie

Post by Rabbie »

I lost 12 full leaves of an indoor overwintered Basjoo, it looks great before it went out, now just a stump.