Easiest banana to grow from seed?

lee1125

Easiest banana to grow from seed?

Post by lee1125 »

Just wondered what experience others have had from trying bananas from seed?

What are the easiest to grow?

Not tried any bananas from seed yet so not bothered which ones i try just want to try the easiest/best germination rate ones for now.

Also any hints/tips would be gratefully received.
grub

Re: Easiest banana to grow from seed?

Post by grub »

Ventricosum or Superbum from my experience.
flounder

Post by flounder »

I'd say musa sikkimensis or ensete ventricosum. Even then, don't expect more than 20% germination
lee1125

Post by lee1125 »

just ordered some off ebay

MUSA SIKKIMENSIS - (DARJEELING GIANT BANANA) :)
Darlo Mark

Post by Darlo Mark »

I germinated musa sikkimensis easily in a greenhouse in August, but they need a large temp difference between day and night.

I tried ensete once and failed, could have been a dodgy batch, but I think they need high temps ( without the variation for musa)
grub

Post by grub »

flounder wrote:I'd say musa sikkimensis or ensete ventricosum. Even then, don't expect more than 20% germination
I've always had nigh on 100% with those two, easy too, just bag 'em and chuck 'em in the AV cupboard with a steady 30C. Musa are a different kettle of fish, Sikkimensis variants are quite straight forward though on a heat mat with a timer icon_thumright
Ian Cooke

Post by Ian Cooke »

Try Musa velutina - its fast growing and if you feed and keep them moving, they'll flower and fruit in the first season. The pink bananas are fun but not edible!
Musa velutina (3)-qpr.jpg
Musa velutina fruit-qpr.jpg
Should be available from Chiltern or Jungle seeds although i haven't checked!