Has anyone got a musa griersonii

pdid

Re: Has anyone got a musa griersonii

Post by pdid »

Dave Brown wrote: I thought we had it set up to use an app. I'll ask Aidan, as he's on iphone as well.
I think I remember seeing a thread where Aiden stated it did not work on iPhone. Works fine on android though.
Palmer

Post by Palmer »

B19bst wrote: One question is should I put them in separate pots now as they have spouted.

I always re-pot them into individual pots as soon as they start to appear and at this time of the year I place them on a south facing windowsill… they don’t like big temperature fluctuations and they need plenty of air movement around them to prevent damping off.
Be careful not to over water them or let them dry out to much and use free draining potting compost.
I only water them with rain water and I don’t feed them until they get 4-5 leaves and then I only give them a week feed, I do give them liquid seaweed extract from day one though.

That always works for me!

The hard part is getting them to germinate :lol:
B19bst

Post by B19bst »

Thanks for that reply.

I have now split them. Hope I haven't damaged the roots. What I did find strange was that I was sure I planted 3 seeds and yet 4 shoots were present. When I split them I found that one of the seeds had two shoots hence the 4 and not 3. Is this a normal thing with musa's or a very strange thing.

Dean
grub

Post by grub »

I've had a few doubles before with Sikkimensis so nowt to panic about :wink:
B19bst

Post by B19bst »

Here is a pic I took an hour ago.

B19bst

Post by B19bst »

Here is an update

As you can see they are doing very well.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

They are looking healthy B19 :D

I'd start to give them a bit more air now, as if very warm it will make them grow leggy.

I visited Kevin Scales garden on Sunday (NGS Open Day, made £1200) and he showed me his griersonii, unfortunately I was too busy yakking to think about taking a pic, but his are about 5ft tall now. He is talking about joining the forum. If he does I'll point him to this topic :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by B19bst »

Thanks dave. I took them out the propagator a few weeks ago and put them on top of it to get sunlight. Also the greenhouse door gets opened everyday for fresh air. Just repotted today as roots were coming out the bottom.
Palmer

Post by Palmer »

Dave Brown wrote:I visited Kevin Scales garden on Sunday (NGS Open Day, made £1200) and he showed me his griersonii, unfortunately I was too busy yakking to think about taking a pic, but his are about 5ft tall now. He is talking about joining the forum. If he does I'll point him to this topic :wink:

I hope Kev joins... he’s got a wealth of experience and could contribute loads!!!
B19bst

Post by B19bst »

Here is a few pics of the progress over winter .

Vagetarian

Post by Vagetarian »

Looking good! I had one before winter, it's dead now :(
B19bst

Post by B19bst »

O dear. They have done well. I was surprised. One is outside and the other two in the greenhouse still as I don't want all to die cos of the weather at the moment as its up and down.
bananaking29

Post by bananaking29 »

Yes i have one plant, only a little haha icon_thumright

B19bst

Post by B19bst »

Looking good. All three of mine have done brilliant. The colours are lovely. Will post pics later.
Palmer

Post by Palmer »

I failed miserably with the seed last year so I bought a seedling from James and I must admit it’s a lovely looking nana icon_thumleft