Musa AeAe corm

Mick B

Musa AeAe corm

Post by Mick B »

Hi all,

I have just received a Musa AeAe corm from Thailand (hopefully thats what it is!). Arrived as shown with pseudostem cut halfway down and solid corm but with no roots.

Have now cut pseudostem to below damaged area and removed any brown outer parts to reveal as shown.

Now planted in a clear pot to show what is going on below. Have only part planted the corm in a mix of 50% Ericaceous soil and 50% perlite on a heated tray. The soil has a meter showing moisture/light/PH. The PH is showing 6.5 and moisture is showing MOIST. Temp is 25C day, 18C overnight away from heated tray. The bottle of water is rainwater heating on the tray.

Has anyone been there, done it before? As any help would be appreciated in getting any new roots forming.

Thanks.
Attachments
DSCF6251.JPG
DSCF6238.JPG
DSCF6248.JPG
Palmer

Re: Musa AeAe corm

Post by Palmer »

Can’t see anything wrong with the way that you’re doing it Mick… Mark Hall used sphagnum moss as a planting medium and that worked well for him.
I know sphagnum has antibacterial properties so it probably inhibits fungus and moulds

nice nana by the way icon_thumleft
leunerj

Post by leunerj »

That bottle looks like it's levitating!!
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

I thought that too!
Mick B

Post by Mick B »

leunerj wrote:That bottle looks like it's levitating!!
Perhaps you can do a video Kris "Encounters of the Musa kind" . You have the mountain and the spaceship!
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Mick B wrote:
leunerj wrote:That bottle looks like it's levitating!!
Perhaps you can do a video Kris "Encounters of the Musa kind" . You have the mountain and the spaceship!
Can do although you'll have to do the special effects with the floating bottles.
flounder

Post by flounder »

Been thinking about one for a while now. Still not sure if I even like the white variegation icon_scratch
Yes I like it, I think :? Maybe I'll get one next spring. In the mean time, I look forward to the pics of the first roller emerging icon_thumleft
jimhardy

Post by jimhardy »

That one will be tough there with the cool weather-they do like the heat!

But...if you can get a bottle to levitate!
Mick B

Post by Mick B »

Just to give an update on the potted Musa AeAe.
After about two weeks nothing really happened with new growth so I took the corm out and dusted with a rooting hormone and repotted again. Initially the stem kept rotting so had to keep cutting down to eventually there was hardly any stem at all!

Then, after a further two weeks new growth started. Photo was taken last night (with special effects of course!)
This is the first leaf so a bit small but has variegation and a pink edging around the new leaf. So I think this is definately an Ae Ae. Another new roller is just emerging today so growing fast now!

Not sure what happened to the levitating bottle! I have Scully & Mulder on the case!

I believe I need to keep the soil acidic. Any ideas on how to achieve this? Someone suggested pine needles as a top dressing, is this fresh needles or decaying? Any help would be appreciated.
Attachments
DSCF6412.JPG
DSCF6413.JPG
call

Post by call »

looking good icon_thumleft
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

I would have said it is always dodgy buying a variegated plant as a rhizome or corm, as even if taken from an Ae Ae, about 50% of the pups produced are plain green. You seem to be lucky in that you have a variegated plant.

Some say higher acidity enhances variegation, but I have also heard a low nitrogen diet allows the less green parts to be even less green :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by miketropic »

after the pic of that first roller I must have one..it would look really good in an arrangement with my struttgarts.. any info on where it came from would be appriciated..most sellers in the US of this nana are very shady and they command a very high price.
flounder

Post by flounder »

They're not the cheapest plant over here Mike! Selling a few of these each week would pay for my sunseeking holiday.....now, where can I find a few of these icon_study
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

If you catch some super deal from a friend you can find them for about £30 but that is the lowest of the low..there is a place out west that sells them about once a year that is reliable but really donsent like to ship. they sell them for £155 and usually sell out as they only have about 10 a year. I have wanted one for about 2 years now but I need a reliable spot with a normal price that ships..hard to find right :lol:
Mick B

Post by Mick B »

I would have said it is always dodgy buying a variegated plant as a rhizome or corm, as even if taken from an Ae Ae, about 50% of the pups produced are plain green. You seem to be lucky in that you have a variegated plant.
I got this plant from a friend of mine in Thailand for £40 plus cert/postage at £35, so no gamble on whether it was variegated or not.

It had to have the stem chopped and all roots pruned before shipping! :(
So, arrived with bald corm. Well pleased with it now! :D