Musa AeAe corm

mushtaq86

Re: Musa AeAe corm

Post by mushtaq86 »

Mick B wrote:Just to give an update on the potted Musa AeAe.
After about two weeks nothing really happened with new growth so I took the corm out and dusted with a rooting hormone and repotted again. Initially the stem kept rotting so had to keep cutting down to eventually there was hardly any stem at all!

Then, after a further two weeks new growth started. Photo was taken last night (with special effects of course!)
This is the first leaf so a bit small but has variegation and a pink edging around the new leaf. So I think this is definately an Ae Ae. Another new roller is just emerging today so growing fast now!

Not sure what happened to the levitating bottle! I have Scully & Mulder on the case!

I believe I need to keep the soil acidic. Any ideas on how to achieve this? Someone suggested pine needles as a top dressing, is this fresh needles or decaying? Any help would be appreciated.
Ericaceous liquid helps to a certain extent,a lot of high nitrogen will make the white bits on leaves turn grey,what i have also found with Ae Ae, the more variegated the leaves, the less cold tolerant the plant is.I have successfully overwintered my Three Ae Ae at 10c min in a greenhouse over the years,even though there has been little deterioration over winter months.I lost all my Ae Ae this year from fungus in march :x also forgot to mention they seem to be less variegated the year after,if you put them on hold over winter months.
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

any updates on how this plant is growing now
Mick B

Post by Mick B »

miketropic wrote:any updates on how this plant is growing now
Have taken photo tonight. Still growing as kept on kitchen widowsill at mo. The heat mat is now on a timer for overnight use only, as has been cold the last few weeks. The watering has been reduced and feeding stopped. The minimum temp overnight is about 12-15C. I just want it to just tick over now until the Spring. Watering is now reduced to about every 3 days.

If the variegation reduces over winter will it pick up again in the Spring when feeding starts again?
Attachments
DSCF6590.JPG
Mick B

Post by Mick B »

mushtaq86 wrote: Ericaceous liquid helps to a certain extent,a lot of high nitrogen will make the white bits on leaves turn grey,what i have also found with Ae Ae, the more variegated the leaves, the less cold tolerant the plant is.I have successfully overwintered my Three Ae Ae at 10c min in a greenhouse over the years,even though there has been little deterioration over winter months.I lost all my Ae Ae this year from fungus in march :x also forgot to mention they seem to be less variegated the year after,if you put them on hold over winter months.
As you are experienced on ericaceous feed, can you recommend a product name? Thanks.
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

I have been reading everything I can find on this nana and from what I understand once the varigation is gone its gone. try to keep the soil ph around 6.0 or lower and it should keep the nice white color. more toward the 7.0 range it gets the grey look and ends up going back green. good luck with it can't wait till I get mine.
mushtaq86

Post by mushtaq86 »

Mick B wrote:
mushtaq86 wrote: Ericaceous liquid helps to a certain extent,a lot of high nitrogen will make the white bits on leaves turn grey,what i have also found with Ae Ae, the more variegated the leaves, the less cold tolerant the plant is.I have successfully overwintered my Three Ae Ae at 10c min in a greenhouse over the years,even though there has been little deterioration over winter months.I lost all my Ae Ae this year from fungus in march :x also forgot to mention they seem to be less variegated the year after,if you put them on hold over winter months.
As you are experienced on ericaceous feed, can you recommend a product name? Thanks.

I always used wilkos ericaceous liquid feed, while it makes the variegation stand out more,it doesn't make the leaves have more variegation.I always have doubt about people claims, after having experienced with my own Ae Ae that you can increase variegation on leaves.If you put the plant on hold it will be less variegated the year after.
mushtaq86

Post by mushtaq86 »

miketropic wrote:I have been reading everything I can find on this nana and from what I understand once the varigation is gone its gone. try to keep the soil ph around 6.0 or lower and it should keep the nice white color. more toward the 7.0 range it gets the grey look and ends up going back green. good luck with it can't wait till I get mine.
Your summers are a lot hotter than ours Mike, you will get a lot better growth than we can get in the UK,with Ae Ae.
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

I hope so we can have temps in the summer around 38C for weeks at a time with 85% or better humidity so I hope it would enjoy that icon_thumleft . I think I have found a reliable source in the US. He has acually fruited one before but the pups are not ready yet. he says sometime around march or april he will contact me and let me buy 1..or 2 :lol:
Sassy Sparrow

Post by Sassy Sparrow »

May I chime in here?
Since about one year I'm interested to buy an AeAe, but always stopped as I heard bad things about the plants from Thailand.
There was an auction on Ebay from BKinterplant (is it allowed to say the name here?) which sounded well for me, but on a german forum they told me, that it isn't a real AeAe because the red on the stem is missing.
I shouldn't buy the plant, too, because of the removed toots and cut leaves.
So in the end I didn't buy.... but I so much WANT an AeAe! Of course at a decent price and not something horrible considering phyto and shipping costs.

What would you all suggest I should do? Buy from Thailand on Ebay? Or is there a (trustful) source here in Europe?
Thanks a lot for your help!
mushtaq86

Post by mushtaq86 »

miketropic wrote:I hope so we can have temps in the summer around 38C for weeks at a time with 85% or better humidity so I hope it would enjoy that icon_thumleft . I think I have found a reliable source in the US. He has acually fruited one before but the pups are not ready yet. he says sometime around march or april he will contact me and let me buy 1..or 2 :lol:
You should never have a problem getting hold of Ae Ae in the US,Mike, a few nurseries sell them.If your a member on Bananas.org Greenie sells them and many more people on there do as well.
mushtaq86

Post by mushtaq86 »

Sassy Sparrow wrote:May I chime in here?
Since about one year I'm interested to buy an AeAe, but always stopped as I heard bad things about the plants from Thailand.
There was an auction on Ebay from BKinterplant (is it allowed to say the name here?) which sounded well for me, but on a german forum they told me, that it isn't a real AeAe because the red on the stem is missing.
I shouldn't buy the plant, too, because of the removed toots and cut leaves.
So in the end I didn't buy.... but I so much WANT an AeAe! Of course at a decent price and not something horrible considering phyto and shipping costs.

What would you all suggest I should do? Buy from Thailand on Ebay? Or is there a (trustful) source here in Europe?
Thanks a lot for your help!

Hi Sassy

You only get red on p-stem, petioles and leaf edges from sun and rain water.Try Greenie on bananas.org if you don't want to get from Thailand.
Sassy Sparrow

Post by Sassy Sparrow »

Thank you Mushtaq!
Where's Greenie from?
Sassy Sparrow

Post by Sassy Sparrow »

Found it. He's from Florida.

Is there probably a source in Europe? Have heard of the very high phyto-costs from USA.
Thanks!
mushtaq86

Post by mushtaq86 »

Sassy Sparrow wrote:Found it. He's from Florida.

Is there probably a source in Europe? Have heard of the very high phyto-costs from USA.
Thanks!
Jungle seeds in UK have them,out of stock for this year though,not sure if they ship them out of UK.I have never seen a phyto in my life and a lot of my nanas had come from US :lol: as long as the person who is sending it,communicates with your self there is no need for phyto :wink:
Sassy Sparrow

Post by Sassy Sparrow »

mushtaq86 wrote:
Sassy Sparrow wrote:Found it. He's from Florida.

Thanks!
Peter White's in UK have them,out of stock for this year though,not sure if they ship them out of UK.I have never seen a phyto in my life and a lot of my nanas had come from US :lol: as long as the person who is sending it,communicates with your self there is no need for phyto :wink:
Thanks for the info about Peter White!

Nice that you never saw a phyto, but I have to correct you: even when you communicate a lot with the sender, you need a phyto for a plant import from USA to Germany when Customs confiscates your shipment.
In such a case all communication is worth nothing! And I've already experienced that case. :evil: So I'm interested in a phyto for expensive plants.