Mr List

Re: Musa zaifui sp. nov. pup

Post by Mr List »

hope this one gets around eventually
Palmer

Post by Palmer »

Dave Brown wrote:
Palmer wrote:Yours looks like it’s off to a good start Dave… that’s not the case for my ziafui though, I left a couple in the poly and I’m sure they will be dead, coldest temp this winter was -9.2c
The rest have spent the winter in the loft and should have survived but they will have lost some size on them this time… it’s been a long winter up there this year.
Any Update Tony ?

Did they survive ?

Hi Dave, the two large zaifui that I left in the poly last winter both died as did most of the pups on them, but two pups that had not emerged from the soil yet both survived and one of those pups is Gilian’s zaifui. icon_thumleft
Palmer

Post by Palmer »

Alexander wrote:Well as its still a very rare Musa it should be planted out in a frostfree polytunnel or conservatory. And then let it growth fast so it can produce many new plants. Those you can then try outside and for other people.
Well I would be happy to plant one here in the tropical butterflygarden. There banas grow very fast almost yearround. So from one plant you can get soon mass production. It seems this M. zaifui is very generous with new pups.

The more people whom grow it, the better.

Alexander
Hi Alexander. I will send you a zaifui pup in the spring… the only thing I ask, if you get the zaifui to flower in the butterfly garden… you post pictures of the flower on here first.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Palmer wrote:
Dave Brown wrote:
Palmer wrote:I left a couple in the poly and I’m sure they will be dead, coldest temp this winter was -9.2c
The rest have spent the winter in the loft and should have survived but they will have lost some size on them this time… it’s been a long winter up there this year.
Any Update Tony ?

Did they survive ?

Hi Dave, the two large zaifui that I left in the poly last winter both died as did most of the pups on them, but two pups that had not emerged from the soil yet both survived and one of those pups is Gilian’s zaifui. icon_thumleft
So they will be at least rhizome hardy over most of UK. Main thing is how quickly they regenerate :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright