Stop Basjoo flowering ?

Geoff

Stop Basjoo flowering ?

Post by Geoff »

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone knows how to stop Basjoo from flowering ?

Mine generally reach about 8-9 feet, last about 4 years then flower and die as is the way of things I believe.

In winter they have their own sleeping bags and a plastic tarp loosely paced on top so they don’t die back to the ground.

So…my question is : if I were to lop off the flower as soon as it started forming would that abort the “flower-and-die” process? Or once the process has started it's a one way ticket to deadsville regardless ?

If no one knows I’ll give it a go and see what happens as I’m down to my last large trunk and a load of pups…and I have nasty feeling it’s flowering time this year !

Thanks,

Geoff.
tropicalwon

Re: Stop Basjoo flowering ?

Post by tropicalwon »

Welcome Geoff icon_salut
Geoff wrote:
So…my question is : if I were to lop off the flower as soon as it started forming would that abort the “flower-and-die” process? Or once the process has started it's a one way ticket to deadsville regardless ?

I've never had one flower........
I would of thought, if you cut the main stem down a couple of feet now, then this would stop it flowering.....

Also before you wrap them up for Winter, cut the main stem at least 3 feet from the top to stop it flowering the following year.
Geoff

Post by Geoff »

Thanks for the reply .... that's got to be worth a bash !
Vagetarian

Post by Vagetarian »

I think it's probably physically impossible for the flowering p-stem to regrow after chopping off the flower. Surely leaves can't continue to grow from the centre of the corm when the corm has a great big flower stem growing from the middle. Not to mention hormonal changes.

Chopping them back while they're still in growth probably works, although some people seem to think bananas flower after X amount of leaves.

Couldn't you adopt something like the agricultural technique? They maintain a main flowering stem, with a large pup, and a small pup. Once the main stem flowers, chop it down and allow the large pup (which is hopefully nearly as big) to become the main stem.
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

I was always told there was a set number of leaves that had to be made before flowering. its is a natural process and will happen no matter what. if I was trying to keep it stressed and from flowering I would let it die back to the ground each winter and basically start over with new pups. there are bajoo in the states well over 15 ft so its not the height
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

miketropic wrote:I was always told there was a set number of leaves that had to be made before flowering. its is a natural process and will happen no matter what. if I was trying to keep it stressed and from flowering I would let it die back to the ground each winter and basically start over with new pups. there are bajoo in the states well over 15 ft so its not the height
I have been growing them since 1993 and only had one flower, but I don't protect them generally. There are some new pups every year, but the main stem regrows from ground level to about 3m (10ft) in a growing season.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by flounder »

Am I right in thinking that once it thinks of flowering, no matter where you cut off that flower, be it in the psuedo stem or where ever, that stem will still die? I also think that you should take a camera to the flower and not a machete.....seems to me basjoo flowers are as rare as rocking horse poo
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

there were 3 here in a greenhouse that all flowered at the same time but I have never seen any "yard" grown bajoos flower.
multim

Post by multim »

I've only had them flower once, back in the good old days of 'normal' weather. If it's expended the energy in producing flower buds, perhaps after 4 years, then it's gonna die. Don't worry, you'll have plenty more! I don't bother protecting mine as they will make 5-6 feet of growth a year anyway.
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

Geoff said: "Just wondering if anyone knows how to stop Basjoo from flowering ?"

Aaaw, what I'd give to have just one flower - I only ask for one!!!

Welcome Geoff icon_thumleft

Di
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.
Leigh

Post by Leigh »

Basjoo will flower after producing approx 30-35 leaves regardless of size
No way of stopping as far as I'm aware but then again never tried, just chopped one down this weekend that had flowered last year.
And have two that where in the process of Flowering as we went into Winter, just waiting to see if they will continue or if it's game over for them
Leigh
GaryW

Post by GaryW »

Bananas, just like Cannas will produce 'X' amount of leaves per stem then the flower bud is produced. There is no way to stop this, pups will be produced well before this (except Ensete) to take over from the flowering stem. It's the way they grow :D
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

No there is no way to stop them flowering, I actually wish there was as my original clumps are now spread out & have lost the dense look as I normally have one or two stems flower every year & last year three stems flowered! :(
Leigh I have had them start flowering before winter & continue the following spring, so yours should as it hasn't been that cold this winter, in terms of absolute minimum temperatures... icon_thumleft
Leigh

Post by Leigh »

Nathan wrote: Leigh I have had them start flowering before winter & continue the following spring, so yours should as it hasn't been that cold this winter, in terms of absolute minimum temperatures... icon_thumleft
Yeah now they have put some growth on those two have started to open and another one has just shown it's flower bud out the top of the P stem :wink:
Leigh
RogerBacardy

Post by RogerBacardy »

This basjoo, near(ish) to where I live, is flowering this year. :)

http://goo.gl/maps/M7ukH

It's on a south-facing slope. Probably just as well he has a waterbutt right next to it! http://www.thisiscroydontoday.co.uk/Ban ... z2Vo6BI0Vz