Dwarf Cavendish Pups

jungle jas

Dwarf Cavendish Pups

Post by jungle jas »

I have a Dwarf Cavendish with pups all the way round the base. Most are 3 to 4 inches high. What is the optimum size to remove pups, as they are all around the base of the plant would you take them off all at the same time or a couple at a time to minimise damage and stress? Thanks. icon_thumright
GREVILLE

Re: Dwarf Cavendish Pups

Post by GREVILLE »

I cut mine off when four or five leaves have grown. Not a big root system even then.
Vagetarian

Post by Vagetarian »

That sounds good to me. I have propagated tiny SDC pups, so small they looked like they'd been tissue cultured, they had one or 2 tiny little roots.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

I would agree with that has been said, but if you've not done this before.... carefully excavate the compost between the pup and mum to identify how deep it is joined, and how thick the join is. Thencut, with a sharp knife, as close to the mother as possible, and only deep enough to just sever the join. Hacking too deeply may be cutting through pup and/or mother's roots. Once severed, carefully tease out the roots of the pup :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by jungle jas »

Thanks for your very helpful information, I will give it a go later in the week. icon_thumright
derrick

Post by derrick »

They pup like crazy i hope you got windowsills for them they also need big pots and have a large rootball