Musa velutina has flowered

Palmer

Post by Palmer »

Nothing too unusual in that, plenty of people have flowered velutina in the UK… but look at the size of the plant

Tony
kata

Re: Musa velutina has flowered

Post by kata »

Thats a fabulous flower, and on such a small plant as you say..unbelievable Tony,

Now, about that Zinfandel Rose.

Well done on that flower!!

:mrgreen:
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Great to see, I didn't think they would flower easily.
Palmer

Post by Palmer »

Rob, velutina is easiest banana plant to get to flowering size as long as you keep them under glass its not one for the garden… takes about 12 months to two years to flower, the plant in the pic was a pup from last year and it over wintered in the loft.
Kata the Rose was a gift… :wink:
kata

Post by kata »

Thanks Tony!

icon_cheers
flounder

Post by flounder »

Not into rosé myself, prefer red....
nice flower by the way :wink:
Palmer

Post by Palmer »

My tipple is red too and unlike Rose’ a bottle of red isn’t left lying around for very long drunken_smilie1

In this pic you can see the little pink furry nanas developing, this is the last pic before it got the chop I wanted all the energy from the corm to go into the two pups it produced.

Thanks,
Tony
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Does the stem die when it flowers.
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

That's quite a bonus to get a flower so quickly, Tony. I often hear that a banana has to produce so many leaves before flowering. How many leaves did yours produce before the flag appeared?

I've never managed to get this to flower. The plant certainly gets to flowering size and for some reason dies off, usually leaving one pup to try again. I lost the whole plant this cold Spring. My replacement is about the size of a bottle of Rose so far :D
Palmer

Post by Palmer »

Yes Rob the stem dies after flowering but the plant would normally produce three or four pups before it flowers for the next generation of flowers.

Greville, the plant had only produced about 10 leaves before it flowered and the p-stem was just 12”
I’ve never seen a velutina flower so small before, normally the p-stem on velutina would be one to two meters before flowering commences

I didn’t know at the time but plant this pup came from that was also going to flower, I had placed it in the loft for the winter and it died but when I cut the stem down I found the flower inside the p-stem and the size of the stem on that was 28” I bought it last year from Himalayan gardens as a 2” corm.

It could be that this plant is a dwarf form of velutina, I have heard of a giant form from Burma that gets to three four meters before flowering, I will ask about it on the B.Org
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

So there is no way of keeping the old stem alive?
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Palmer wrote:My tipple is red too and unlike Rose’ a bottle of red isn’t left lying around for very long drunken_smilie1

this is the last pic before it got the chop I wanted all the energy from the corm to go into the two pups it produced.
I thought these produced viable seeds if left to develop. I'm sure Mark Hall had hundreds back in 2007-ish.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Palmer »

Dave, seed would have been great but the two pups this plant produced they are very small and I need to get some size on them before winter sets in, hopefully they will flower next year and I will try for seed then. :)
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

mines well over a meter and has 4 pups about half a meter but no sign on a flower..I think I will have to dig it up soon which might throw a flowering off if it was going to. They do make lots of seeds Dave but I never have luck with them although I know lots who have