Conservatory cannas during winter

ourarka

Conservatory cannas during winter

Post by ourarka »

This year I have had several cannas in pots in my conservatory. Just wondered what is the best thing to do during winter, as presumably they won't die down as the temp will barely drop below 5C, even in the coldest of snaps. Do I just leave them to what they want .... or should I still cut down and dry store?
Kristen

Re: Conservatory cannas during winter

Post by Kristen »

ourarka wrote:This year I have had several cannas in pots in my conservatory. Just wondered what is the best thing to do during winter, as presumably they won't die down as the temp will barely drop below 5C, even in the coldest of snaps. Do I just leave them to what they want .... or should I still cut down and dry store?
I've done that with some that I bought late in the year and was worried they would be too small to over-winter "dry". They were massive by the Spring and put on a cracking show outside the following Summer :)
otorongo

Post by otorongo »

I reckon Cannas do just fine over winter as long as they don't get frosted. Look at the 3.6 m Canna thread, I'm sure the plant gets 5C down in Barcelona.
So if the prospect of 3.6 m Cannas doesn't scare you, leave them alone :)
Blairs

Post by Blairs »

They will do fine as others have said - some water, not damp/wet. They still produce leaves. My musafolia never died down after I cut them down and keep going in my frost free garage, so are 2 metres at the moment, if tatty from the wind. If your Canna have been outside then look out for caterpillars, slugs, snails, Vine Weevils etc.