separating musa basjoo.

karl66

separating musa basjoo.

Post by karl66 »

My one mother is about 7ft tall & has about 8 pup's around the base!, the biggest is approx. 2ft. Today I have carefully tried to separate from mother plant, I've got quite a deep root but only on 3 sides as it was so close to main plant, I tried this a few year's ago with a pup about 9inches high but it died as it had little root :( , what are the chance's of this one transplanting or are they two much trouble to bother with?. karl.
grub

Re: separating musa basjoo.

Post by grub »

I usually wait until they're about 18" tall before taking them off Karl, chop in close and take a bit of the mother corm too. Never fails...
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Thanks grub, I chopped in tight & got plenty of root but not any of the mother corm?, hopefully it will still take. karl.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

If it has plenty of root then it should be ok. Just make sure you remove some of the leaves to balance out root to leaf. Drench with seaweed extract which is a growth accelerator. It works on leaves and roots, and will help it overcome the shock quicker :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Kristen »

I'm just letting my Pups grow where they form ... is that going to look too crowded compared to separating them and planting somewhere nearby?

(Mine are M. sikkimensis, so I'm figuring if they are adjacent to the parent I can straw-cage them all-together for winter protection)
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

A clump is more wind tolerant than a single stem, as the leaves can't get thrashed about as much. Sikki have a tendancy to snap the petiole rather than shred the leaf lamina.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Kristen »

Thanks Dave, but they are in a very sheltered spot, so I doubt any problem with wind (the leaves are completely un-shredded <touch-wood!>)