Can you dry store a musa sikkimensis

B19bst

Can you dry store a musa sikkimensis

Post by B19bst »

Can you only dry store maurelli and monti ensete's.

If not what others can you dry store over winter.
fern Rob

Re: Can you dry store a musa sikkimensis

Post by fern Rob »

I purchased one the other day, I am equally interested to find out if they can be dry stored as I don't know how to over winter it otherwise.
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

I bought a dry corm of sikkimensis 'bengal tiger' earlier in the summer and it started off quickly (now 75cm tall in its pot) to replace the three year old one I lost last Spring which I overwintered in virtually dry compost.

What does that say about dry-storing Musa sikkimensis? Not sure, really :? .....except to say it won't always work.
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Ive not had any luck using this method. best treat them like basjoo & wrap in situ, there's not a lot between the hardiness of the two. karl.
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

fern Rob wrote:I purchased one the other day, I am equally interested to find out if they can be dry stored as I don't know how to over winter it otherwise.
I over wintered mine in massive pots the first two winters, will stay planted out now for their 3rd Winter, will protect with a chicken wire cage stuffed with straw.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Kristen wrote:
fern Rob wrote:I purchased one the other day, I am equally interested to find out if they can be dry stored as I don't know how to over winter it otherwise.
I over wintered mine in massive pots the first two winters, will stay planted out now for their 3rd Winter, will protect with a chicken wire cage stuffed with straw.
Thanks, its only small so I will overwinter it in a pot.
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Musas don't store very well dry because they don't naturally have a dry period like some ensetes do.
B19bst

Post by B19bst »

Thanks for the info guys. I guess I will keep in the greenhouse this winter and store outside the following as its still pretty young.so is it only ensete's you dry store in the banana world.

Dean