Musa coccinea

fern Rob

Musa coccinea

Post by fern Rob »

Hi All,
I have never grown Musa from seeds, and have wanted to grow Musa coccinea for its foliage and flower colour. I have never grown Musa from seed and I think it am be technical so was hoping for some advice.
What is the best way to get the seeds to germinate ( I have only got 4 ). As anyone else grown this species.
Thanks
Rob
grub

Re: Musa coccinea

Post by grub »

Musa tend to like a high fluctuating temp, never tried that one so can't tell you for sure, Have you looked on the Org for info?
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

grub wrote:Musa tend to like a high fluctuating temp, never tried that one so can't tell you for sure, Have you looked on the Org for info?
Any idea what temprature?
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

General consensus, even from experienced musa growers, seems to be 'slow and difficult'.

It is listed as a Banana from Tropical China (southern lowland Yunnan) and Vietnam. Lots of info on growing the plants, but not much about germinating them.

I'm not the best person at growing musa from seed, but it seems the harder you try the longer you wait :lol: A lot of people find they (musa) germinate in a greenhouse over summer after giving up with them over winter and spring. As grub said Musa seem to do best with fluctuating temps, so a prop on a timer might work.

Temps to start with might be 25/15C
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by fern Rob »

Dave Brown wrote:General consensus, even from experienced musa growers, seems to be 'slow and difficult'.

It is listed as a Banana from Tropical China (southern lowland Yunnan) and Vietnam. Lots of info on growing the plants, but not much about germinating them.

I'm not the best person at growing musa from seed, but it seems the harder you try the longer you wait :lol: A lot of people find they (musa) germinate in a greenhouse over summer after giving up with them over winter and spring. As grub said Musa seem to do best with fluctuating temps, so a prop on a timer might work.

Temps to start with might be 25/15C
I will use a timer and a heat mat, there is nothing to loose.
I thin I will but a plastic bag over the pot to keep the humidity.